Author Topic: New member and rear sight question  (Read 418 times)

Offline maroonandwhite

• Trade Count: (0)
New member and rear sight question
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:09:15 AM »
Hi guys. I am glad to find a forum that shows such a large interest in the Handi-Rifle's. I just picked up my first one in 45-70 yesterday and haven't even shot it yet. I traded for it without a scope but it does have the front sight still intact. It also has the scope rail installed as well as tap covers (screws) installed in the rear sight holes. I am interested in taking the scope rail off and installing a rear sight until I decide if I even want to scope it.

The manual shows three or four different part number for a rear sight and I am a bit confused as to what I should look for and where to order. I am hoping the rear sight is adjustable for elevation and windage. I would also consider aftermarket sights but again do not know much about what to look for. Any info would be appreciated and I look forward to contributing in the future! Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New member and rear sight question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »
Welcome! Current production 45-70 rifles come with the Williams WGOS rear sight since you mentioned "holes" as in more than one, older production came with a proprietary sight that used just one hole. The WGOS sight is available from H&R, toll free (866)776-9292.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline maroonandwhite

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:22:33 AM »
Great! Yes I forgot to mention it is a 2006 built gun. I will give them a call and get them coming. I have a bad feeling I am going to love this gun. Maybe it will take the edge off my handgun addiction. Thanks for the info.

Offline maroonandwhite

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:27 AM »
Ok. So the sight base will accept different height blades. Any idea what normally comes on them or what I should do to figure out which I need?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
Here's a link from the retail parts page of the FAQs and Help sticky with part numbers to order, it comes in individual parts, I dunno if Williams offers different sight blades for the sight, they do offer different carriers(the adjustable part of the sight) with fiber optics and a ghost ring tho, H&R doesn't have those that I'm aware of. There's a link to Williams Gunsights in the FAQs topic Peep and Firesights. Most everything you'll need related to H&Rs can be found in the FAQs sticky.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,213475.msg1099145054.html#msg1099145054
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mr.Crowley

• Gunsmith Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
good post I too need a set of sights, for my 2007 manufactured 45-70

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
Hmmmm.... I didn't know Williams offered fiber optic and ghost ring replacement parts for factory (WGOS) rear sight assemblies... I gotta stop giving these things away!
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.