Author Topic: I'd like to ask about my Handi  (Read 416 times)

Offline AccelR8

• Trade Count: (0)
I'd like to ask about my Handi
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:01:24 AM »
Hi, I'm Don and I'm new to the forum. I want to ask a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

I have Handi Rifle in .223. It was made in 2001 and I bought it new. The man at the gun shop, who was very nice and seemed quite knowledgeable, told me this; the gun has the bull barrel which is not available from the accessory barrel program. The accessory barrels are of a lighter profile. Also, he said H&R was going to stop selling the bull barrel rifle. Keep in mind this was back in 2001.

My rifle has a 22" barrel that measures about .795" in diameter at the muzzle.

The reason for my question is this; I'm planning a project rifle for a cartridge not chambered in production rifles. I will most likely to it as a stub-barrel, re barrel job. I'm considering using this rifle as the victim...or I mean base gun for the conversion.  But what the salesman said lingers in the back of my mind and I don't want to cut up a barrel that is "special". I know there's no collector value or anything like that, it's just that if they're not makin' 'em anymore I might look for another gun to start with.

And by the way I've been looking on the various auction sites for a spare barrel. Seems like half the price (or more) of a complete, brand new gun! I'd rather buy a new gun than a used barrel.

So I guess my question is, cannibalize this rifle or leave it alone and get another.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I'd like to ask about my Handi
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
The 24" bull barrel 223 is still available both as a rifle and acc barrel, the 22" bull was available until just a few years ago, it was in the 2006 catalog, definitley not rare, if you want a donor barrel for a stub or rebore/rechamber, buy a used one in the H&R classifieds here, hundreds have been sold there, barrel fitting info available in the FAQs sticky.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AccelR8

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I'd like to ask about my Handi
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:18 AM »
Thank you. I had been trying to figure it out by using the H&R website but wasn't finding my answer there. Just now I did look at the accessory barrels online and see the 20," the 22" and the 24" bull.

Again thanks for the advice.
Don