Author Topic: Spring Postal Match  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Spring Postal Match
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2004, 04:33:52 PM »
BUMP!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Spring Postal Match
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2004, 05:49:06 AM »
Do I assume correctly there is no restriction on type of bullets?  Ie match, vs. varmint etc?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Bruce A. Hering

Postal Match
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2004, 06:52:26 AM »
I do have a "dumb Question".

I remember the conversation about the match when it started over at H&R/NEF site but I don't remember any commentary on how the group measurement would make allowences for bullet size.

A well shot .308 against a well shot .223 could show a heck of a difference in group size. A (theoretic) one hole group with a .308 vs the same with a .223 allowing for ragged edges  :shock:  

I think considering the "classes" listed at the top of this thread, we should break it down now.

(had to come back with an edit: even useing center hole score pins there would be an advantage to the smaller calibers, I would think)

JMHO  :D
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Instructor
Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
Southeastern Illinois College
Collegiate Shotgun Coach
2009 ACUI 3rd Place National Champions
NSCA Level III Instructor

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Spring Postal Match
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2004, 07:06:26 AM »
I also put this update in the stickied topic on the top:

Wlscott measures the max outside diameter of the group and then subtracts the diameter of the bullet.

So, say a 223 handi that shoots a target that has an outside diameter of .724" and a 308 handi shoots a .808" target. After you subtract out the bullet diameter (.224" for the 223, .308" for the 308) you end up with both of them shooting a .500" group. This is called "center to center", in essence measuring the distance between the bullet points/tips.

This is the only established method I've seen used in accuracy matches with varying calibers because the center to center measurement eliminates the size of the bullet into the equation.

Did my babbling make any sense?  

Handirifle - no restristriction on bullet types, whichever works best in your rifle.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Spring Postal Match
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2004, 08:05:44 AM »
Scruffy is absolutely correct.  The size (diameter) of the bullet will not have any bearing on how small the group size (center to center) is.

Like I said before, If there are enough participants in each caliber, I will split them out.  But if there are only a couple of .30 caliber shooters shooting, I'm gonna put them in with the rest.  

If I have a bunch of .22 centerfire shooters, a couple of .30 cal shooters and a couple of big bore shooters, I'll probably split it into two categories; .22 centerfire shooters and .30 and above.  

I'm just kind of going to fly by the seat of my pants on this one.  

When I get all of the cards, i will post how many of each caliber I have.  Then you guys can have some input on how it's split up also.

Sound good?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Spring Postal Match
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2004, 10:18:04 AM »
Wlscott,
  I just picked up a pack of 300 index cards at Wally World for $1.27. Don't worry, I won't send that many entries. :)
Don

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Spring Postal Match
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2004, 11:00:40 AM »
Wlscott,
I just picked up a pack of 300 index cards at Wally World for $1.27. Don't worry, I won't send that many entries

I appreciate that Blue, I'd kind of like to spend some time with my kids in the next month or so :)

Offline stevex

RE:postal match
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2004, 03:20:37 PM »
Do the old H&R topper shotguns qualify for the postal match?I have a .410 model 58 and if it qualifies I might enter it along with my Ultra223.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Spring Postal Match
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2004, 03:48:05 PM »
Do the old H&R topper shotguns qualify for the postal match?I have a .410 model 58 and if it qualifies I might enter it along with my Ultra223.

Yes, in the shotgun category.