Author Topic: Barrel ID help  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Barrel ID help
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
Can any one tell me what this barrel is?

It is about 24 inches long, bronze and weight 100-125 lbs. The bore has three groove rifling and will take the  2.5 inch studded shell used in the British 2.5 inch,  RML screw gun.   

The only markings I can find are over the breech.

The Markings in the crest appear to be possibly Hindi with  some additional  Nepalese markings added out side the crest.

Can  any provide any detaills on  what the crest may say or refer to or what this barrel is?

This barrel is from the Nepalese cache.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Re: Barrel ID help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
 Is it one of the barrels that IMA brought in from Nepal?

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »
Not sure what exact ID you want, but I would describe it as a bronze-barrelled, rifled Nepalese mountain gun ca. 1880.

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:18:09 PM »
Yes Dom, this is from the Nepalese cache brought in by  IMA and Atalanta Cutlery.

Thanks John, after posting cruising the internet I came the same general conclusion, some sort of mountain gun.   

I am looking for some one to translate the crest  for me.

While looking over these guns this particular barrel stood out over the other clearly crudely made Nepalese guns.  It is a much higher quality.   

Offline steelcharge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:58:03 AM »
Weren't these nepalese mountain guns sold at some point wrongly as something like "genuine civil war armstrong cannons"?

crudely made Nepalese guns.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but I wouldn't call those nepalese guns crude. They are quite well made, compared to many chinese guns I've seen. Take a look at this 3-pounder cast by the Taiping Rebels in 1857:
http://www.gxmuseum.com/a/antique/20/2011/390.html (you can enlarge the photo by clicking it)
That's what I'd call crude, but I must say I still like it.

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »
I was talking about the guns I saw in the warehouse Friday and I only compare them with themselves not some others on the internet.

Ther has been a good deal of misrepresentation about what is or is not in the Nepalese cache... some of of comes from scholarly differences in interpretation.  Some comes from good faith mis-identifications, which jealous competitors jump on.

There is a lot of intrigue involved in this collection.  A study of the history of the era and area will show that the Nepalese were getting state of the art (for the time period) armaments shortly after they were introduced in Europe.  They then  modified or directly produced these same arms.  What the Nepalese didn't get was state of the art machinery to produce these arms. These the state of the art arms was duplicatedone with hand tools and old basic machinery.  The intriguing part is why such sophisticated arms were going to Nepal? A very interesting time in history.

The Nepalese cache is a mix of hand made Nepalese weapons and "modern" (for the age) European weapons, mostly British. Some others including at least one one verified and documented Confederate piece.

Some mystery's of time are being solved-perhaps solved is a bit to strong a word.  Perhaps suggestions to answer to questions are being  found.  For example there has always been a question about what happened to all the British  Pattern 42 guns made to replace the pattern 34 rifles destroy in a fire in the Tower of London.  I found a clue to that, when in 2011 I found a Nepalese Snider made with British parts including a P-42 lock dated Tower 1847.  This rifle came from a pallet  of these guns  that all appeared to have British and Nepalese parts.  There was a number of pallets nearby with similar guns. 

At the end of the month I will be going to the  IMA-British Miltaria shoot in Easton, PA.  During the shoot we will tour the warehouses.  The One warehouse has most of the artillery most if it relatively unseen. That is where mose otf the good stuff is supposed ot be stored. I will try to get back to the back and take some pictures.

Here is another they had in the back room Friday.

I wasn't going to post this picture because of it's poor quality.  But since I need to help in some research on the carriage color I am posting away...does anyone know what color Dutch East India Company used on their ship guns?

Starting Wednesday on the  Nat Geo channel a TV show about  IMA called Family guns.  They will have cannons...

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 03:56:10 AM »
A bit of an update on this Cannon.  I have a partial translation of the markings.

SRI 3 MAHARAJ RANAUDDIP SIMHA RANA VATA HUKUM SRI KAMPAADER IN CIPH DHIR SAMSER JUNG RANA MARPHAT 1939 SAL MA TAYAR BHAYAKO
 NAMBAR---- 908
........................?
PAM. NAM........ 3

Translation:
"Manufactured by Commander-in-Chief Dhir Samser Jung Rana in 1939 ( Bikkram Samvat=1882/3 A.D.) on the order of His Highness Maharaj Ranauddip Singh Rana."   "Serial no. 908"?