Author Topic: So many thoughts,... Topper 163  (Read 734 times)

Offline Mamba_Driver

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://home.comcast.net/~ronweiser/
So many thoughts,... Topper 163
« on: February 14, 2004, 08:13:51 AM »
Let me first say that I'm more than pleased at finding this forum.  I was really disappointed that the "H&R Talk" was shut down.

As my grandson will soon be "of age", I thought that I would get my Topper "Mustang" 163 out the other day and give it another good going over.  As I was cleaning a flood of memorys came back.  My dad bought me the 163 30/30 Win. as my first gun when I was 13.  AC - 1965 mfg. date I believe.  I worked like crazy to buy the 20 ga. and 410 ga. barrels and hunted with that setup for years.  I remember all the shots my dad let me take (some I missed, some I made) when he could have easily made the shot himself.  He was always careful to stress, "take your time, wait for the shot".  I learned that you have one good shot so make it count!  I can remember times, one in particular, when dad and I were hunting.  Close by we heard, blam, blam, blam, blam,... one hunter lighting it up.  The next thing I felt was my dad grabbing me by the collar and not so gently pulling me over to him, holding me tightly.  As I looked up at him his face had a look of sheer disgust.  I knew exactly what he was thinking.  He looked down at me, smiled, patted me on the back and we continued our hunt.  We never said a word and yet I remember it like it was yesterday.  I'd sell any gun I have without blinking except for that 163.

Anyway,... enough sentimental clap trap!!  The 163 is in nearly as good a shape as the day I got it and shoots just as well.  I'm asking the impossible here but I was wondering if anyone had a line on a 158/163 .22 Hornet or .22 Rem Jet barrel for sale.  I don't know what other models may fit besides the 158 or 163.  The forestock is the snap on type but I don't think that that matters as I could probably have alterations made to accomodate the snap on.  I'd even be willing to buy an entire gun in either of these calibers.  I thought the small bore barrel would be a great "first" gun for my grandson.

BTW,... I realized why I love these guns so much so I went out last night and ordered an Ultra Hunter .308.  I see lots of different barrels in my future! :grin: