Author Topic: How much punishment is sufficient?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
How much punishment is sufficient?
« on: February 19, 2004, 02:22:19 AM »
Dali Llama say he curious what be honorable forum members' thoughts on appropriateness of punishment in this situation.

Junior Allen Denied Parole For 26th Straight Year

After 33 years in prison, Junior Allen has lost another request for parole.

Not a day goes by that Junior Allen does not dream of walking out of prison a free man.  

Allen was convicted of second-degree burglary for stealing a television set in Johnston County back in 1970. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Allen's attorney said the North Carolina Parole Commission has placed more conditions on Allen's release. Rich Rosen said Allen has been offered enrollment in the Mutual Agreement Parole Program, or "MAPP," a transitional period for inmates designed to improve education and learning skills before they are released.

Rosen said Allen refused the offer, saying he all his client wants is to go home.

This is the 26th year in a row that Allen has been denied parole.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Nobody

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 03:54:18 AM »
Initially I'd have to say that I can't see it myself.  A tv is not worth a human life.  

On the other hand, WHY has he been denied parole for 26 years?  Has he been involved in any problems while in prison?  If he kept his nose clean then let him out.

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 04:40:53 AM »
Like Nobody stated,thare is a reason for keeping him.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 06:07:13 AM »
Makes ya wonder you would think if he wants to get out that bad he would take their class and get out. Something is out of wack?? Maybe he is used to prison and does things so he will not make parole but says he wants to get out to make it sound good. Would not be the first guy I have heard that got used to prison and found it a home?? Takes all kinds I guess. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 08:51:05 AM »
Quote from: Nobody
Has he been involved in any problems while in prison?  
The state said Allen's behavior is one of the reasons he is still incarcerated. In 33 years, he has committed 62 infractions -- about average for a maximum security inmate. All but eight are considered moderate by the Department of Correction.

"Disobeying an order, gambling. If you're asking me whether I think this shows that he's dangerous to the public, the answer's clearly no," attorney Rich Rosen said.

Rosen said those who have had the closest contact with Allen do not see him as a problem.

"We've talked to the prison officials where he's been moved, and they've all been very positive about him. He's 63 years old, and ready to go home," Rosen said.

"I think he deserved it, and I think he should stay in there," said Monroe Johnson.

Johnson has another theory as to why Allen is still bars. He and his family said Allen beat Johnson's mother before taking her television.

"That was why the judge gave him such a stiff sentence, was because of all the circumstances in the case, just not the TV," he said.

Allen was never charged with assault. And nowhere in the court records is there any mention of one.

"I don't mean to disparage them, but this would be the first case in the history of North Carolina that a black man went into the house of a white woman, and if in fact he assaulted her, or touched her in any way, and didn't get charged with it. The police didn't even ask him if he had touched her," Rosen said.

Thirty-three years later, the debate rages on. As Allen waits for parole, Lessie Johnson's family clings to their side of the story.

"I've told you and everybody else that I think he had served his time for what he did. But I think it's a mean person that would assault an 85, 86 year-old-lady," said Sandra Thornton, Johnson's granddaughter.

Allen's attorney has filed a clemency petition with the Governor's Office that is currently under consideration; however, Rich Rosen said the governor is not likely to act while a case is pending before the parole commission.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 04:31:49 PM »
Well... if he assaulted someone while taking the TV that puts a different light on things.        

I can see why the parole board hasn’t let him go if there was an assault too.   Apparently he isn’t showing the right signs to be let out.   Maybe someone needs to knock some sense into him.  
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 05:50:46 PM »
Seems on the surface, to be very harsh punishment!!!

Yet; today's prisons pride themselves on "rehabilitating" inmates.
      Of course we have no way of knowing, but his refusal to cooperate even enough to attend a class that he may not think is worthwhile, seems to indicate a very stubborn attitude.
   Society relies on rules and cooperation. Sometimes we have to swallow our pride in "common sense"!
  Have you ever known someone who received a speeding ticket, thought themselves not guilty.....but still took a "safe driver" class as a way to avoid a worse penalty? He/she could have insisted on their innocence and received a large fine PLUS marks against their license...

Sounds like the old boy would still have problems "outside"!

We have difficulty understanding about his real attitude during his incarceration!

If anyone here wants to unquestioningly accept his DEFENSE LAWYER'S word at face value....I have some ocean front property in Kansas that I would like to sell you!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 05:36:30 AM »
From the information here, I think he's paid his debt to society long ago. Who obeys all the rules all the time and who doesn't gamble on something?

Offline Nobody

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 10:27:09 AM »
It is difficult to believe that IF he had assaulted that elderly woman that he wouldn't have been formally charged with it.  I'm thinking that, unless he did some really serious stuff in prison, he oughta' get out.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 03:29:06 PM »
Quote from: Nobody
It is difficult to believe that IF he had assaulted that elderly woman that he wouldn't have been formally charged with it.  I'm thinking that, unless he did some really serious stuff in prison, he oughta' get out.
Dali Llama say he suggest give criminals shorter sentences....and longer necks!

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 04:17:16 PM »
:-D Dali Llama say he suggest give criminals shorter sentences....and longer necks! :-D  :eek:  :-D  :shock:  :-D  :) That's a good one, Dali! :)

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 12:14:22 AM »
If all criminals got a life sentence, I am willing to bet my left one that crime would go down.
I know, the cost of housing them would be tremendous, but, that would be a temporary thing, since once crime goes down, the jails will not fill so fast.
And hey, we could always just execute them !!!
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 02:48:38 AM »
Quote from: RIFLERANGER
If all criminals got a life sentence, I am willing to bet my left one that crime would go down.
I know, the cost of housing them would be tremendous, but, that would be a temporary thing, since once crime goes down, the jails will not fill so fast.
And hey, we could always just execute them !!!
Ranger
Dali Llama say some would assert that best course of action would be "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out." :-)