Author Topic: XD-45 Jams  (Read 890 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
XD-45 Jams
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
Hi all,

I've notice a couple of jams recently, both with reloads with my XD. I did see the sticky above, but I'm not sure that was it (the stuck slide). Factory ammo has been fine.

The thing is that I want this as a HD gun and am wondering about reliability now. Aren't XD's supposed to be extremely reliable?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: XD-45 Jams
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »
You most likely answered your own question when you said it was reloads causing the problem, but not factory loads.  "Stuck slide" sounds like an oversize case, or bullet seated to long.  Remove the barrel from your pistol, and do the "plunk" test.  Drop a couple of your reloads in, and see if they fall all the way in as they should, or if they hang up before fully chambering.  A lot of guys like the Lee Factory Crimp Die for bringing their reloads into proper spec.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
Re: XD-45 Jams
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 02:20:06 AM »
+ 1 on what Bigeasy says.  I use a LCD on all my 45 acp reloads.  I've checked ..rechecked ... and double checked don't know why ... but seems all the .452 bullets and some of the .451s
require a pass through the Lee Crimp die.   I didn't pick up whether this problem just started or has been a problem with your reloaded ammo. If it was ok before and just now is giving you problems , perhaps check the die settings ... expander plug ... bullet dimeters .. etc.
Good Luck ...

regards, irold