Author Topic: FYI for Hoosiers submitting concealed carry apps  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
FYI for Hoosiers submitting concealed carry apps
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:18 AM »
Just giving a heads up for Indiana residents wanting to get their concealed carry permits.  It's a complete cluster **** in Indy right now.  I submitted my app at the end of July and HAVE YET to get my handgun permit.  I did not go the L1 Enrollment route and that was a huge mistake.  My town marshall filled out my fingerprint card and printed me.  I then mailed off everything to Indy and waited and waited.  In October, I called the ISP Firearms Section and asked them what the deal was.  They told me that the town Marshall did not fill out the fingerprint card correctly and that they were going to mail it to me to fill out what wasn't so I could return it to them.  Thank You very much Town Marshall.  They also told me that they were looking deeper into my background because of a restraining order I had filed on me in 1997.  Ahhh, the ex wife games.  I was was told though that they would get the fingerprint card to me in about 3 weeks from the date I called so I could get it filled out while they continued to check my background. It never showed up.

Today, I called again, and asked them what was going on with my app.  They told me that they were now looking into a handgun permit that was issued to me in 2004 along with the 1997 restraining order.  The lady then told me something completely different than what I was told last month.  She told me that my background check has to be completely cleared before they can mail my fingerprint card to me to finish being filled out.  I asked the lady to please give me an estimated time frame for the background check to be completed and the fingerprint card to be mailed.  Of course, they would not do this.

Makes no sense.  The restraining order lasted for 2 years and was never renewed.  I get a handgun permit in 2004 that expired in 2008.  Now they are "looking at everything deeper."  I have nothing on my record that would keep me from getting a permit.  They claim that they are completely swamped with apps, and I do believe that.  However, their is no reason for them taking this long.  4  months and running is a complete drop of the ball on their part on honoring something that I am well within the law to have.  There is really nothing that I can do though.  They have the ball in their court and it's going to be done when they are good and ready to do it.  Total control over a right that I have.

I would highly advise any Hoosier that is looking to get a concealed carry permit, to do the L1 enrollment process instead of relying on their local LE to do the job right.  Chances are, they will not do it right.  You can expect a nice long wait if you have ANYTHING questionable in your past and/ or if you paperwork is not filled out correctly.  Even if everything is squeaky clean by their standards, they are saying that it could take 8+ weeks to get the permit.  I would also HIGHLY suggest that if you can afford it- to get the lifetime permit so you do not have to deal with this BS every 4yrs.  I know that when I get my permit and it comes time to renew, I will be getting the lifetime.  I freaking HATE that I am at the mercy of the State Police and whatever agenda they seem to have going on down there.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: FYI for Hoosiers submitting concealed carry apps
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »
I don't know what an L1 is but my daughter put in a first time application this summer through the local sheriffs dept and received her lifetime permit in a just a few weeks.  In my county they suggest that you go on line to fill out the questionare,go to the sheriffs office for fingerprinting, and mail it all in to the state police. I wonder if there might be a little more to your situation than what they are telling you. I wish they would have had the lifetime when I was a lot younger. I might not live long enough to get my moneys worth!

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
I wonder if there might be a little more to your situation than what they are telling you.

There cant possibly be anything more to my situation than what they are telling me.  I work in a prison, I am a firearms instructor, a transport officer (we carry glocks in public), and I am the asst armory supervisor at my facility (I am responsible for the accountability and maitenance of all the facility's firearms.)  What this boils down too is the fact that I love in a town so I had to go to the local police office instead of the county sherrif's office because i dod not choose L1 enrollment (electronic fingerprinting.  The ISP has times and dates where they will be so you can get the electronic fingerprinting done).  The town marshall screwed my finger print stuff up, so now I am in the circular file down in indy.  And no, as of this writting I have yet to recieve my fingerprint card to complete, my actual liscense, or a letter of denial.  There had better no letter of denial- i have done nothing to deserve one.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 03:15:10 AM »
I thought maybe they were just jerking you around. I know other people that have had trouble with city police departments screwing up applications , not only with concealed carry but also with Class 3 permits. Good luck.

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
It sounds like your permit is not a very high priority.

I'm not surprised. Law Enforcement/State types don't like citizens to be armed... we're not speshully trained profeshonals.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »

I'm not surprised. Law Enforcement/State types don't like citizens to be armed... we're not speshully trained profeshonals.

Many have no problem with armed citizens. Some actually encourage it.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
 Keep us updated. Was thinking about getting a permit today.

Lonny

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:53:54 AM »
I will call back one month from the last phone call which is in a few days. If I don't get answers then, I guess I will be asking for the name if the dept supervisor and going up the chain from their. I will keep this thread updated. I think 5 months is more than ample time to get all the red tape figured out. It's really getting frustrating.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:57:16 AM »
Go for it. I go through our county sheriffs dept. and haven't had any problems. It isn't going to get any easier the longer you wait. I made the mistake of letting my last permit expire and they will charge more to renew it if it is no longer valid. Got the lifetime last go around. I wish they would pro-rate the fee for us old birds!

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »
If the State of Indiana decides to yank you around, the State of Utah will likely issue you a permit, and the Utah permit is recognized by Indiana.   Utah is one of a few states friendly to non-residents as far as CCW permits go.

Just an idea for Plan B.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »
Stand by for a PM ST762

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
I called the State police agian today.  I spoke with one of the background check people at first and of course they told me that the application was still in the "to be proccessed" file.  I held my composure, but I told the lady that this was the exact response I got last month and with all due respect, I cannot any longer accept that asnwer.  She then trasferred me to the Sgt. that runs the division there.  Quite surprised I was to be on the phone with a police officer and the officer was not being a dic*. He was very helpful and told me that there was no reason for my app to be taking this long.  We established further communication through state email (we are both state employees).  About an hour goes by and he sends me an email breaking it all down to me as to why there was a hold up and tells me that my app is on his sup's desk and as long as she approves it (he said that there shouldn't be a problem) they will issue me a liscense in a few days.  He did tell me that they process the apps in the order that they are mailed in.  They are currently at the 09 Sept 12 date of receipt

So, I am putting a kudos out to Sgt. Butch Michael of the Indiana State Police for helping me get some answers and moving my application process along today.  Such a pleasant change from the normal operation of police officers.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
3 month + wait?  Crap it dont take that long for an FFL!

Lonny

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »
Well, the Sgt. told me that if you did everything electronically or on line, you would get your license MUCH faster as long as you dont have anything in your past.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:26:29 AM »
When lifetime licensing first came available there was up to a 7 month wait at one point even if you already had a license in hand and were just updating to the lifetime.  Took my dad over 5 months to receive his then even though he was possibly the most squeaky clean resident in the state.  Not long after he received his mine came due for renewal and I of course went to the lifetime.  Went the online route and got it back in just over 2 weeks.  I assure you I'm nobody special.  It just worked out that way.

The ISP does have some quality folks and I'm no fan of the cops.  I have met very very few ISP officers who were undesirable.  Those don't seem to be around long.  City and county on the other hand can be a frightening lot.  Sounds as though Sgt. Michael is the type person we need more of in these positions.       

Offline powderman

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 05:59:23 AM »
SWIFT ONE. I'd imagine there is quite a backlog for CCW right now. Be patient, it's worth the wait. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:05 AM »
FINALLY!!!  Yesterday afternoon, my CCW arrived in the mail.  What a comlplete headache that was. :o :o   My friend is now in the application process and he is going through the L1 Enrollment process.  I will keep you guys posted on how long it takes to get his license going through the inkless fingerprinting route (L1)......