Author Topic: My new Ultra 25-06 arrived today  (Read 807 times)

Offline MOPLS

• Trade Count: (0)
My new Ultra 25-06 arrived today
« on: February 19, 2004, 07:00:14 PM »
I just picked up a new Ultra 25-06 this evening along with some reloading equipment.  As soon as I get the barrel lapped and free-floated and a scope mounted, I'm heading for the range to give it a try.  I've still got some 90gr HPBT rounds that are left over from a previously owned 25-06 that was stolen.  I'll start with those, but I may want to try some 75gr BT's.   If anyone has a favorite load for 75-90gr bullets for this caliber, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
john

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:21:10 PM »
MOPLS,
  I can't give you any favorite 25-06 loads, but I'll send a hearty congratulations on your new rifle! :) Your the first I've heard of that got one. You'll have to give us a report on it.
Don

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 02:38:13 PM »
I don't load  so I can only tell you the deer I hit with a store bought round last Dec. droped in his tracts at about 125 yrds. that 2506 ultra is a hoot to shoot :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 06:12:41 PM »
I can only use slug guns for deer season where I hunt but if they ever opened up these areas for rifles then I would send in my UV 223 receiver, stock and forearm in to H&R for a 25-06 barrel without a moments hesitation.  I've heard nothing but good things about this caliber.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MOPLS

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 07:50:42 PM »
Thanks for all your kind words of encouragement.  I truly loved my previous 25-06 and I know I'll love this one.  Although I never hunted with my old Ruger 77V, one of my step-sons borrowed it for several years and never failed to take a deer with it.  He finally managed to acquire a rifle of his own and mine retired from the hunting scene.

I just mounted a 36 x 44mm scope on my new Ultra and boresighted it so it should be on the paper when I get to the range.  I still need to give it a good cleaning and lap the barrel and free-float it.  The trigger seems a little heavy, but not too bad and there's no apparent creep or over travel.

Thanks again for your replies

john

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 07:54:08 AM »
:grin:

This is the best shooting deer/antelope load in my 25.06 Ultra:

Winchester Brass, Winchester Large Rifle Primers, Sierra GameKing #1630 117 gr. boattail spitzer and 49 gr. IMR4350.

51 grs of 4350 is listed as max, but mine did better at 49...

My gun had a long jump to the lands, so I set the bullets out longer that spec for a magazine feed rifle, but I'd have to measure one to tell how long. It still had plenty of bearing surface to stabilize though. That really depends on the land distance in your gun anyway.

- perklo

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 05:56:16 PM »
MOPLS
How do you plan on lapping the barrel?  I pick up my new 223 Ultra Varmint the 28th and was considering the same kind of prep work.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MOPLS

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 06:12:29 AM »
I ran some tight patches with a dab of Flitz through the barrel.  I would use some bore paste, but can't find any locally.  I actually started last night by swabbing the barrel with some Shooter's Choice and then running patches through it until clean, then following with some Flitz on a bore mop.  I gave it a couple of dozen strokes or so, then added more Flitz and stroked it some more.  I finished by reswabbing with Shooter's Choice and running patches through until clean.  Finally, I ran a patch soaked in Break Free down the barrel to protect it and put a light coat of Break Free on the outside of the barrel and other exposed parts and put the rifle back in the safe for the night.  My arm was tired and I was almost out of patches by this time.

By the way, I noticed that H&R/NEF has added something new, a different scope rail.  I was looking at the scope rail thinking about doing a bedding job on it as several folks have suggested, but that may not be necessary.  My scope rail has a large set screw through the front part of the rail about a half inch back from the front edge that presses against the barrel.  It seems to me that this will keep the cantilevered part of the scope rail from flexing, much like a bedding job would do.  It seems very sturdy.

I hope to get out to the range today and give it a try.

Good luck with your new Handi.

john

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 09:52:25 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Good luck at the range.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 03:44:37 PM »
:D MOPLS the Ultra 2506 comes with that scope rail at least mine did. See you from Rolla, used to float the Gasgonade even cought some big cat fish out of it . :-D
from Tennessee---Paul