Author Topic: Black powder cannon kits  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Ssdyle

• Trade Count: (0)
Black powder cannon kits
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
Walking through Cabelas today I noticed they had some cannon kits,built one when I was a kid with my Dad. But that was 40 years ago, getting the itch again. Any advise on a kit that's better or worst than the others? Best detail ? Attention to authenticity . Fun level?
Thanks again guys.
Sonny

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Black powder cannon kits
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:33 PM »
I think you will get some suggestions that will offer more for the money.
You did right though ,that is asking the question B4 you bought something unworthy.

One of our sponsers can get you going in the right direction .
Have you checked the stickies?
Good luck

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
Cannon kits are probably not very common. assembling and finishing a cannon is the easy part so selling the kit at a discount really makes no sense for a maker.  People love to feel like they have a hand in making things so kits will always have there place on the shelf in my opinion. I would imagine there are a few thousand cannon barrels out there in the world purchased by men who thought they was going to get right on it and make a carriage. I would also imagine 90 percent of them barrels are laying in a closet and the project getting pushed back until its forgotten about.  For the other 10 percent I wish they would come on here and post some pics of there carriages!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »
Field artillery carriages are not all that hard to make, one part at a time, but they have lots of parts and you need to be both a wood worker and a metal worker to build one.  The metal parts are mostly blacksmithing stuff, and the wheels have so many duplicate parts that you just have to make fixtures to make them all the same.  But most people won't spend the time making the fixtures, even after being told that it will take less overall time to make the fixtures and make the parts than trying to make each part separately.

So nothing gets done past the first few parts that take longer than expected.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »

One GBO kit I am aware of is to assemble Brooks USA  barrel to  a Wood "n" Ironworks carriage.  When finished you will have a high class firing cannon that is  not just another mass produced cannon like everyone else has. 

Both Brook-USA  and  Wood "n" Ironworks  Sponsor this board.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
Welcome aboard, Sonny. What would you prefer, a naval gun or a field gun? What size bore are you thinking about?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ssdyle

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »
Thanks Cannoneer. I just ordered a golf ball mortar from Dominick.i like the field pieces maybe something in a .50 cal.
The way this got started was .........
I have a good friend who is a writer for the Salt Lake Tribune,he does a humor column a couple a times a week. He is always getting invites from different people to come see what they do and write an article about it, we've done professional fireworks shoots, cooking lessons at Benihana and so on.
We got invited in December to attend a birthday dinner for St. Barbara, she is the patron Saint of cannoneer s and artillery men. Some of the members were cannoneer s with the Utah symphony ,
Anyway my friend Kirby talked one of the guys out of a spare cannon and a new hobbie was born.
Here is a link to a couple of stories.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/55357547-223/barbara-patron-saint-cannon.html.csp

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/55628401-223/cannon-kirby-fun-gun.html.csp

We even got contacted by a production company wanting to do a reality show about the weird crap we do.
Anyway the cannon that he got has a 47 m&m bore, any suggestions on what to use as ammo?
Well thanks for listening,and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sonny

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
Anyway the cannon that he got has a 47 m&m bore, any suggestions on what to use as ammo?

I'm sure you'll have a good time with the mortar you ordered.
You say 47mm, but your friend Kirby says 37mm in the article. Either way, check the net for the outside diameter sizes of pvc pipe, you should find something close enough. Fill cut sections of the pipe with concrete.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »
Thank you, Douglas! We have 50 cal. SAMCC barrels in stock

Michael
                                Home of the Golden Gun

One GBO kit I am aware of is to assemble Brooks USA  barrel to  a Wood "n" Ironworks carriage.  When finished you will have a high class firing cannon that is  not just another mass produced cannon like everyone else has. 

Both Brook-USA  and  Wood "n" Ironworks  Sponsor this board.