Author Topic: Sites to see near Trenton New Jersey  (Read 748 times)

Offline Cannon Cocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sites to see near Trenton New Jersey
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
I'm planning a trip to see my brother who moved to Trenton.  I have only "passed through" the east coast, and have never spent any time there.  Google maps says Gettysburg is about 2 1/2 hours away so that's doable, but what else would I want to see in that area.     

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: Sites to see near Trenton New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
Drive around south Jersey. Beautiful country.
Stroll Princeton, and hit Conte's pizza.
Drive to Philly an hit Tony Luke's for the roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe and garlic.
 ;)

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
Thanks Stuart.  Keep it coming.  I'm going to be there for about 2 weeks I think.  Don't want to be sitting around with his wife all day until my brother gets home...not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
Forgot about the "Swamp Angel" actually in Trenton.  I missed that question!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Valley Forge is not too far past Philly.  Lots closer than Gettysburg.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:16:48 AM »
Valley Forge is not too far past Philly.  Lots closer than Gettysburg.

Thanks,  I'll check it out.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
You might also consider West Point.  Opposite direction about 100 miles away.  Might have to have advance approval to get into the Academy grounds.

And Saratoga is up there, too.  About 230 miles from Trenton so a substantial trip.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
      In our attempts to find the "Swamp Angel" before we had a GPS gadget for the car in 2007, we spun around Trenton, NJ and located a very interesting alternative when the search for the famous 200 pounder Parrott failed.  We located what is known as "The Old Barracks" at Lafayette and Barrack streets in south west Trenton near the Delaware River and adjacent to the Capitol Complex.  There is a guard shack at the Trentorn Visitors Center across Barrack street from  the Old Barracks where you buy your tickets to enter the Old Barracks grounds.  The site is very informative and is here:  http://www.barracks.org/about/the-history.html  There were 4 or 5 cannon of different types in the firewood enclosure on the ground level under the barracks in 2007. 

Only about two to three miles west on West State street you come to Washington's Crossing and the east edge of Cadwalader Park where the "Swamp Angel" is located.  We will never let you forget it if we find out you did not make this pilgrimage.  Unbelievably, the site where this gun was used in 1863 on the west side of Morris Island near Ft. Sumter, SC is almost perfectly preserved today and you can spot it easily with a Google Maps satellite view of the area.

Good stuff downriver too.  Just follow the Delaware south to Philly and visit the neatest Protected Cruiser we have ever found, the Olympia.  This is contrasted with the Maine, which was a heavier, Armored Cruiser. 

Continue on downriver until you come to Fort Delaware on Peapatch Island in the middle of the river across from Delaware City, Delaware.  A short ferry ride adds to the experience and once on the island you will have a wonderful opportunity to explore a very unique, Third System, Civil War Fort.  If you get there on a weekend day, you can witness the firing of an  8" Columbiad M1844 from the Northwest Bastion.  The guides are dressed in authentic CW uniforms and are very knowledgeable.  Some might even challenge you and explain that they are always looking for spys.  Mike and I were detained briefly, but then again, "We looked like Spys!".

Anyway, have a good trip and take plenty of pics!

Mike & Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
Thanks GGaskill and M & T.  I knew there had to be a lot of good stuff in this area.  I Googled and found a site listing the 50 top places to see near Trenton.  It was mostly water parks, and amusement parks.  It's amazing how little most people care about what we think is interesting. 

I may not be going for a few weeks, but I will be sure to take a lot of pics.  Maybe one with a current newspaper held near Swamp Angel for proof of visitation for M & T.

I did find a sight describing the Old Barracks, but could not find any information about cannons there, so I'm glad you mentioned it.   

Offline boomerralph

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 01:14:07 PM »
Don't forget Fort Miflin (Rev War) at the philly airport
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
Thanks boomerralph, and everyone else for the input.

Offline Delkal

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »
You shouldn't miss Fort Delaware (Pea Patch island).  Its a fort in the center of the Delaware river (south of Wilmington De).  I believe it was built after the Revolutionary war and was a POW camp during the Civil war.  It still has dozens of large cannons still in their original positions guarding the river.  Plus you get a nice boat ride to get in and you can stay as long as you want.  It might be closed during the winter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pea+patch+island&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=lTR&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4qXxUN7yNqT90gGV24E4&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1239&bih=626

When I was there I was looking at some nice cannons and I noticed a huge supertanker passing by right in front and very close.   For a brief moment I smiled and though I should bring some powder and a cannon ball next time.    ;D