Author Topic: Barrel length and velocity  (Read 1264 times)

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Barrel length and velocity
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »
Looking to possibly buy a Mod 1858 New Model Army in the 8" barrel stainless configuration. This also comes in a 12" barrel version , so what average loss in velocity would you expect to see between tthese two barrels? Using as an example a roundball with 35-37 grains of FFF or RS Pyrodex!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Nobade

Re: Barrel length and velocity
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »
Not enough to matter, but the balance and handling of the two are sure different. Pick 'em up before you buy one. Think about how you would holster the long one if you want to carry it around.

"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
Not enough to matter, but the balance and handling of the two are sure different. Pick 'em up before you buy one. Think about how you would holster the long one if you want to carry it around.
Thanks Nobade!
I do have a "Uncle Mikes" shoulder holster that I use for my SRH 9.5"  with scope and my Kahnke Mod 82 14" single shot with scope. I think the 12" Mod 1858 would probably fit this also.

For the most part would probably be using the Mod 1858 mainly for hogs from 10 - 40 yards! Would also, if possible, be using a " Bog Pod" for rest! So if I can get by with the 8" model I would prefer going that route, but if  the 12" gives a significant more "oomph" then I would use it, hence the reason for my original question.
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline Nobade

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:12:01 AM »
That ball isn't going to hit very hard at 40 yards no matter which barrel it's fired from. But under 25 it's pretty wicked. Better get close!

I have a normal Rem '58 and my daughter has one of the 12" barrel ones. I haven't chronographed either, but sometimes we will sometimes shoot the silhouette chickens and pigs at 50 and 100M just for grins. I really can't tell any difference in hitting power between the two revolvers, it might be different close up but by 50M those balls slow down so much that neither one hits very hard. They will both knock the targets down (well, maybe 3/4 of the 100M pigs) but it's not terribly impressive. Either of those other two pistols will hit with far more energy at that range. You can load it with bullets, which will certainly carry more energy, but then the velocity is pretty low and the trajectory loopy. They are also sometimes hard to load and get good accuracy from. All things to keep in mind, if you get either revolver for hunting make sure you shoot it a lot and get really used to what it does at different distances.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »
Nobade,
I was over on another shooting site and one of the members has a lot of experience with the Remington  in the 12" configuration on hogs. His load is with T777 at about 35-40 grains and roundball. He has checked with his chrony and says that muzzle velocity with that load is right around 1250 fps. He said that out of a 8" barrel velocity with same load would be around 1000 fps.
Like you said close is better!
What I plan on doing is carrying my KAHNKE Mod 82 14" .50 cal ( scoped) for shots from 40 to  150 yards using Hornady Great Plains bullets and using the revolver for closer shots and also for "coup de gras"!

NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline Nobade

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:25:24 AM »
Sounds like a good plan.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »
Nobade,
I was over on another shooting site and one of the members has a lot of experience with the Remington  in the 12" configuration on hogs. His load is with T777 at about 35-40 grains and roundball. He has checked with his chrony and says that muzzle velocity with that load is right around 1250 fps. He said that out of a 8" barrel velocity with same load would be around 1000 fps.
Like you said close is better!
What I plan on doing is carrying my KAHNKE Mod 82 14" .50 cal ( scoped) for shots from 40 to  150 yards using Hornady Great Plains bullets and using the revolver for closer shots and also for "coup de gras"!

250 fps = 25% - Actually that is quite a difference in energy. The balance between the different barrel lengths is quite evident. Sounds like a good plan with the rifle unless you wanted to get one of the revolving carbines. Using the pistol for finishing or close shots would favor the 8 inch to me.

Offline briarpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
Using black powder it suprises me that the difference would that great.