Author Topic: Reluctant .223 Rem barrel - Problem finally solved (I think)  (Read 649 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Reluctant .223 Rem barrel - Problem finally solved (I think)
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »
I have four .223Rem barrels, One bull, one with 1 in 9 twist, and two of the .223Rem barrels with a 1 in 12 twist (ejector).

I had a problem getting one of ejector barrels with a 1 in 12 twist to shoot a good group at 100 yards.  I started shooting it about a year and a half ago, and for some strange reason, I couldn't get it to shoot.  It would shoot a good group at 25 yards, and when I moved it to 50yards, it was still a decent group, but a little bigger.  When I went to 100 yards, I couldn't find the holes in the paper.  So I went back to 25 yards and repeated the same procedure, and got the same bad results.  I did this a few times, before I finally packed the gun away, deciding to retry sighting it in later on.

Well this year after hunting season ended, I dug the gun out  and was determined to sight the gun in.  Needless to say, I was having the same problems.  Sight in was excellent at 25 yards, passable at 50 yards, and horrendous at 100 yards. 

So I went thru all the steps, checked the tightness of the scope bass screws, the screws attaching the rings to the scope base, the scope ring screws, added "O" ring, etc..  I then thought it was a problem with my scope, but I knew this scope (a no name 2-7x) was good.  I brought the target back in to 25 yards, and proceeded to again try to sight the rifle in.  Same results.  Then I caught a slight hesitation between the time I pulled the trigger, and the time the round went off.  I tried it again this time, watching the hammer fall when I pulled the trigger.  I noticed then that the offset hammer spur, was making contact with the base of the ocular lens.  I unloaded the gun, then proceeded to pull the hammer back and dry fire it with me holding the hammer while it was falling.  It seemed to clear the scope while I was doing this.  I then held it at an angle and looked to see if it was rubbing against the scope.  There was light between the hammer spur, hammer, and the scope.  I cocked the hammer, and pulled the trigger on an empty chamber, while watching the hammer fall, and noticed that the offset hammer spur just brushed the scope as it fell.  It was just the slightest contact.  But I guess this was the culprit.  This minor contact didn't affect the POI at close ranges, but it got magnified the further the target was away.  I decided to take the gun home, and use the handy Dremel tool on the edge of the offset hammer spur, to lower the height of it by a hair.  When I got home, my light bulb which was on dim finally got brighter, and I decided to turn the off set hammer spur over, since it was thinner on the bottom side.  I got the right hex key out and performed the operation, and lo and behold, there was now no longer any contact with the bottom of the scope.

I'll have to wait until Monday to take the gun back to the range.  I think I finally solved the problem of not being able to sight in this barrel.  I hope. :-\

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Reluctant .223 Rem barrel - Problem finally solved (I think)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
good luck. hope it works.
i hate those deals where you have
to pull a coupla teeth to get any results.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »
And there is the wailing and gnashing of teeth syndrome, though it has resulted in me getting a buy on a 'problem child' from a frustrated owner from time to time.......... ::) . Not that Im over anxious to do that to somebody on the range (like Ive seen some guys do), there Ive tried to help a guy out, but at a gun show or on a rack where its already been decided its going to be sold I have picked up a few that needed just some minor tweaking.
Hope this solves it. Do be aware that the slower 1:12 can only stabilize a bullet of just so long at a given velo (that is why they went to faster twists) and rarely, though it sometimes works, can you make a too long bullet that is under-stabilized become so with more velo without too high pressures being developed (unless you were way underloaded to start with, of course).
I certainly would try a lighter (and thus shorter) bullet load and see what happens (unless you are frustrated and want to send it to me cheap  ;) ).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:41:11 PM »
And there is the wailing and gnashing of teeth syndrome, ...

Hope this solves it. Do be aware that the slower 1:12 can only stabilize a bullet of just so long at a given velo (that is why they went to faster twists) and rarely, though it sometimes works, can you make a too long bullet that is under-stabilized become so with more velo without too high pressures being developed (unless you were way underloaded to start with, of course).
I certainly would try a lighter (and thus shorter) bullet load and see what happens (unless you are frustrated and want to send it to me cheap  ;) ).
I know about the problem of using too heavy a bullet.  I also found out that certain bullets heavier than 55 grains will stabilize in the 1 in 12.  I am currently using 55 grain bullets, to zero in the barrel with the 1 in 12 twist. 

Like I said, I hope that the problem is now solved.  I'll find out for sure when I get chance to go back to the range.  The craziest thing is that, I checked the clearance between the hammer and the scope before I started to shoot for zero, and it always "seemed" to clear the scope.

I don't get that frustrated to want to get rid of a barrel.  Usually, I just put it away, and take out something else to play with, and come back to it later.  I usually only sell my barrels, after I get tired of shooting that caliber, or when I end up with too many of a particular caliber.  I have two sons that also shoot, and a couple of young nephews that I'm introducing to shooting.  So four 223Rem barrels really aren't too many.  If I get another one thru a trade, or a purchase to get another receiver, then I would put one up for sale.   The only downside right now is that .223Rem ammo is a little hard to come by.  Guess, I'm gonna have to start reloading again.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:40:16 AM »
Sounds more to me like (at least) one of those youngsters needs to start reloading...... ;)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974