Author Topic: Which H+R/NEF Rifle Will Win?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Which H+R/NEF Rifle Will Win?
« on: February 11, 2004, 01:41:15 PM »
Hey guys,
  I was wondering which rifle you think will win the Spring Postal Match?  :gun4: I'm betting on the Ultra Varmint in .223. Bet you can't guess why!  :)
Don

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Jeff's gun.

WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline bull b 25-06

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 02:58:43 PM »
Hello gentlemen,Iwould have to agree with you on the winning rifle being an ULTRA VARMINT .223. They are one heck of an accurate rig. I've got the nickel .223 SURVIVOR,and it is a great shooter but won't measure up to (thouroughbred) ULTRA VARMINT. Good luck to everybody on this postal match. Later bull b 25-06 :D
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 03:02:46 PM »
Won't measure up?

Jeff223, isn't your's a standard handi?  I'm pretty sure it's not an ultra.

Edit, the handi, survivor, ultra all have the same reciever and trigger assembly, all barrels are rigid with the ultra 2" longer, and different stocks/forends.  Accuracy wise, the ultra really doesn't have an advantage.

Like the old benchrest saying, "It's all in the rest."

As you set up to take your shots, the better the rest the better the groups.  Which is often times overlooked.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline bull b 25-06

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 03:25:50 PM »
My .223 SURVIVOR NICKEL has a tapered barrel. According too the numbers on the reciever this one was made in 1997. I haven't seen another one like this one. I do wish I had the (bull)rigid barrel though. Anybody else ever seen one like mine.

later bull b 25-06 8)
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 05:31:16 PM »
scruffy,my rifle is just a standard handi rifle,223 with a 22in bull barrel.the stock that is on the rifle now came from nef,they sent it to me because of a warranty deal we worked out last winter.the other 223 with the black stock is my sons rifle.both are good shooters.i think the ultras and handis shoot the same.as you know mine has had other work done to it.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 02:15:08 AM »
Guy I'm here to tell you everyone's in trouble. I've been shooting wally world bulk pack Win. varmint ammo and groups at 50 yards is running around 1/4 inch center to center. :-D Yes I know were are shooting at 100 yards but surely they will not open to much at 100. I'll be picking up two more boxes this week end. The barrel really is not broke in yet. I'm shooting the 50 yards pistol class cartidge with my 357 mag handi before I max it. So I will be shooting the 357 a bunch this weekend. Good luck guys.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline 338

• http://www.cj2j.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 02:54:05 AM »
Something really tells me that the guy with the best scope will win. There is really no substitue for good optics. I've seen crappy shooting guns made into one hole shooters with good optics. Of course a good bench is key to. Just my opinion/experince of course.
When in the woods, listen for the rumble of my cannon. Happy hunting/shooting!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 03:25:24 AM »
My prediction is that the Ultra Varmint .223 with the light blond stock and the Springfield Armory scope is going to win :)

You know, I remember one match we had where someone had used the hood of their truck for a rest, and another guy used the handle bars on his four wheeler.  That's fine, you can use whatever you want.  But if you really want to wring the accuracy out of your gun, there's no substitute for a good bench and solid bags.  

Maybe next time we can include a "field shooting position" category??
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 12:40:04 PM »
The weather somewhat dictates the type of rest you use. The shooting I've been doing this last month, was off a couple of bags of calcium chloride(ice melter). :)  Maybe when the weather warms up, I'll try some bags of grass seed.
Don

Offline JPH45

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 04:55:28 PM »
338, If only that were true. Not arguing or dissin' or nothing like that, just that I have never seen optics alone take more than 1/2" out of a rifles groups, and I have never seen optics make a 1" gun shoot as well as 1/2". 3/4" more like it. Accuracy, no matter from a rifle or handgun is a combination of factors that have been tuned for optimum performance. Once in a while, a rifle like Jeffs is made, that for some reason or reasons is all positive in every aspect of what makes a great gun great. His experience with this rifle is more the exception than rule. Not saying that he hasn't done some good work with it, just that he had a better platform than many to begin with. I've seen lousy rifles with great triggers, still couldn't hit  the broadside of a barn from the inside. I've seen great actions and great barrels in lousily bedded stocks that wouldn't shoot. I've seen great barrels ruined because the so called smith didn't know how to use a lathe and couldn't make threads. I've seen perfect Mauser recievers reduced to scrap because a fellow clamped them in a vise, didn't use a proper jig and warped them in attempt to remove the original barrel. Wouldn't matter whose barrel, trigger, stock or optics, those guns wouldn't shoot, couldn't be made to shoot, so much scrap metal.  

We like to believe that good reloads, even a great load will turn a 1" gun into a 1/2" gun. Some times. What we generally find though is that a great load takes a 1" rifle and leaves it a 1" rifle, with no flyers....ever. We like to believe that a perfectly floating barrel will shoot, not when the frame or reciever is binding the barrel, or the lockup is not consistent.

Optics are just that , optics. They help us see better, allowing us to make better use of the available light. they put the target and the sight on the same apparent plane, making focusing between the sights and target unnessicary. But optics will not of themselves make a good rifle. They will not even make a good rifle great. What they will do is allow us to squeeze another bit of accuracy from a system of which each factor has positive and negative influences on accuracy, with each beign a journey unto itself.

Townsend Whelen is often quoted as saying "Only accurate rifles are interesting". Judging from how the subject is appraoched by most shooters, I would say that only the search for another accurate rifle is interesting
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 05:17:39 PM »
Quote from: Wlscott
My prediction is that the Ultra Varmint .223 with the light blond stock and the Springfield Armory scope is going to win :)

You know, I remember one match we had where someone had used the hood of their truck for a rest, and another guy used the handle bars on his four wheeler.  That's fine, you can use whatever you want.  But if you really want to wring the accuracy out of your gun, there's no substitute for a good bench and solid bags.  

Maybe next time we can include a "field shooting position" category??

Good bench, good ammo, really bad bags = 3rd or 4th (can't remember which) place last year

Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 03:45:09 AM »
Good bench, good ammo, really bad bags = 3rd or 4th (can't remember which) place last year

Uh, third if you must know :(

*Couldn't get my reloads tweaked just right.
*The wind was blowing.
*The sun was in my eyes.
*The bench wasn't very steady.
*Aformentioned "bad bags".
*Too much coffee.
*Not enough sleep.
*Kind of cranky.
*Wasn't getting along with my dog.
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

But then, i'm not the kind of guy to give excusses :)  :)  :)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 08:26:34 AM »
I think it won't be the best rifle I will be the best shooter. :gun4:  :twisted:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 01:31:44 PM »
Past winners aren't allowed to use the same rifles again, are they? :-D  :-D
Don

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 06:29:30 AM »
Past winners aren't allowed to use the same rifles again, are they

I'll be using the same rifle, just not the same loads :cry:

Every since I shot that group with the factory loads, I've been trying to get my reloads tweaked to shoot as accurate.  I've got them pretty accurate now, but I think they can do better with some more adjustments.

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 02:41:30 AM »
WELL i got to tell you all, i got a feeling my 243 with my 58gr hornady v-max bullets will win :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline H&R BANG

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2004, 01:46:46 PM »
I don't know which gun will win, but I do know which ones won't. Those that are not entered!

Let's have a lot of entries.

H&R BANG (formerly known as BANG and the grand champion of postal entries (6), however not known as the best shot)

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2004, 02:23:25 PM »
If you want to win, you had better have your loads & rifle tweaked out good because a 219 zipper is going to be tring if I get a day when wind isn't blowing a gale. Marv.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2004, 03:37:40 AM »
Now THIS is what a friendly competition is all about.....

A little friendly trash talking....
Discussion of loads and rifles......

I'm glad we decided to do this again :grin: