Author Topic: Book Reviews  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Holiday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
Book Reviews
« on: March 01, 2003, 12:06:43 PM »
It has been suggested, and I agree whole heartedly, that we do some book reviews. I'll leave the details up to you folks, but I'll post a few loose guidelines to help out. These aren't the law, but they might serve to help you along.

1.Western or Frontier type novels or historical information/documentery type books. Try to keep it historical, but we won't be real picky.
2. Give full title.
3. Give authors full name as appears on the book.
4. Give us the publisher's name and address if you can. This may help someone find the book or order it.
5. Give a brief description of the contents or what the book is about.
6.Give your opinion of the book, is it accurate, is it worth reading.
7. DON'T GIVE AWAY THE ENDING!!!!(I always hate it when folks tell me the endings. :) )

Well, that's enough for now. Have fun!

Holiday :D
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline Capt Hamp Cox

• A Real Regular
Book Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 03:42:26 PM »
Holiday,

Think this is a great idea, but are you gonna limit this thread to novels?  Lots of really good Old West/Cowboy/Gunfighter/Lawman/Outlaw books of a historical nature out there that will hold your attention just about as well as a good Louis L'Amour or Kirby Jones novel (see Texas Rangers Revisited thread below).

Hamp
Careful is a naked man climbin' a bobwire fence.  

Offline williamlayton

Book Reviews
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 01:24:04 AM »
hamp you are really the originator of this concept, with the post and things you added to the forum, so i's say you have the right idea.
                                             blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Holiday

• Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
Book Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 01:59:53 PM »
Nope, no limits. In fact, this type of book is probably better suited to this forum than novels. But I have learned a lot from the well written novels of Louis L'Amour and others so I wanted to include those as well. In fact, I'll amend the origional post to cover this. Thanks for pointing this out.  :grin:
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline Capt Hamp Cox

• A Real Regular
Book Reviews
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 04:00:45 AM »
Thanks Holiday.  I really think there's room for both categories here.  If I ever get this remodeling project finished, I'll get back to my reading hobby/habit.  When I do, I'll just have to be careful I don't overdo it, 'cause when I read a lot my lips get tired.

Hamp
Careful is a naked man climbin' a bobwire fence.  

Offline Rancher

Re: Book Reviews
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 12:05:05 PM »
I would have to suggest anything by J. Frank Dobie.  He was and, as far as I'm concerned, still is one of the best writers of historical fact and folklore that ever put pen to paper.

Edited to add the book Log of a Cowboy by Andy Adams (I know the title is correct and I THINK the author is correct, but I could be mistaken about that part).

I know I'll think of some more and I apologize for not having the additonal information as requested in the opening post.  I can get it, but I'll have to hunt up the books to find it.

Offline Bushwalker

Re: Book Reviews
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:29:45 PM »
I have to agree with you that LOUIS LAMOUR's books that deal with the old west but a lot of history is also included in his books. It is apparent that he did some homework on history before including places or people in his novels. I have read everyone of his books and I collect them, I have them all. When you read one of his books, it feels that you are there and witness everything he is talking about. He does have several that do not deal with the west, you could omit them. Another author that writes with the old west and civil war which run fairly well along the history line is JOHN JAKES, throughout his books he refers to locations activities that took place during the civil war.There are many good writers that write good western books. I have travelled through the areas that Lois Lamour talked about and found them as he described them.  Civil war I know a little about because of my ancestors. Well I had to put my 2 cents in. Take care and I'll talk to you later.