Author Topic: My Muzzy Season 8pt  (Read 972 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
My Muzzy Season 8pt
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
Here's my muzzleloader 8pt for this last season. I do the European mounts myself.

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My Muzzy Season 8pt
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
that turned out nice! i did one just like it for my son with a large buck he got a couple years ago.he made and stained a nice red oak shield to mount it on.

what method did you use? i soaked his skull in water for a couple months then wired it to a post and pressure washed the meat off.worked very well.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
Thanks. :) I usualy skin the head, trim off as much meat as possible, wrap the antlers to keep the sun from bleaching them, and hang the head in a tree. There is a type of large black beetle that shows up and they will clean the skull to bare bone. No idea what type of beetle they are but they do a great job fairly quickly once they show up. This one I skinned, trimmed the meat off like usual, and then boiled the skull. It works and is much faster but has it's drawbacks and I prefer the hanging in a tree much better. Inever had much luck trying to bleach the skulls white. What I do is spray them with flat white paint. Looks natural and gives them a very clean look.

Offline dtalbot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (76)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »
Fine lookin' job on a fine lookin' deer! Congrats!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
Thanks. :)