Author Topic: Rifled Slug Chokes - any good?  (Read 459 times)

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
Rifled Slug Chokes - any good?
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
I have an old NEF 12ga that I am thinking of cutting down to 22in and getting it threaded for chokes. Plan on using it primarily with an Improved Cylinder choke for clay busting. I got to thinking though, I've seen "rifled slug chokes" advertised and wonder how well they work. It looks like it extends out a little and is rifled inside the choke to impart spin on the slug. How well do these type of chokes work? Are they worth the effort/price?
Thomas B.

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Rifled Slug Chokes - any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:48:05 AM »
ThomsB:

I've tried them in the past with traditional style Foster slugs and really could'nt see an improvement in accuracy over an improved cylinder choke.  But it may well be just the ticket if you want to use 1 of the new sabot loads.

regards,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »
I used one with a Remington 870 and got pretty good accuracy but I never checked it against a standard choke.

I have seen some guys that were pretty good slug shots with rifled slugs and a modified choke as long as they had some decent sights or optics.

I don't think a rifled choke would help any with a sabot though. Pretty much takes a fully rifled barrel to get the benefit.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »
Modern version of the old Paradox barrel concept; it has had its followers but I think the twist needs to be pretty slow so the high velocity projectile slamming into it wont strip the rifling yet get just enough spin to stabilize better than out of a smoothbore. This means combining the twist, fit, velocity, and projectile length and weight to work together just so. I have one 12ga. smoothbore pump (cyl. bore) that has shot Win. Foster slug loads into 3" groups at 50yd. with nothing more than a bead front, bet it would do a bit better with a peep, Red Dot or scope. The way it kicks I might not be able to do better and dont know how much better that screw in would make it either. Probably not enough to matter in my world.
That said, if I had a barrel that could take interchangable chokes I would probably like to try one out because Im just that way (inquiring mind), but they are kinda expensive. Worst case would be Id find out the silly thing works terrific but only with very expensive sabot loads (this is the same reason I dont try Eley 10X in my 22's).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974