Author Topic: Rebore recommendations plus newbie greetings  (Read 582 times)

Offline ddelaurant

• Trade Count: (0)
Rebore recommendations plus newbie greetings
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »

Howdy!  Allow me to introduce myself through my Handi Rifle:
The first brand new centerfire rifle I ever purchased, back in 1983 when I was trying to grow almonds, was an H&R Topper in .357 Magnum.  I mounted a Burris compact scope on it and used it about a year for shooting ground squirrels with some very quiet .38 HBWC handloads.  I had fun with it, but in 1985 I traded it for a .30 Universal Carbine.  This was a pretty good trade, but I began missing the single shot almost immediately. 
I kept missing it until 1995, when I finally ordered the brand new NEF SB2 in .233 that I still have today. 

This rifle has been through a fair bit of customization.  First I had the receiver hard chromed by Ron Mahovsky, and added a synthetic buttstock from Choate, along with both the standard and survival model fore ends.  Then I bought two extra barrels through NEF in .22 Hornet and .357 Magnum.  All three barrels were shortened; the .223 was turned down to a lighter profile, the .357 was rechambered to Maximum and chromed inside and out by Armoloy, and the Hornet was rebored and rechambered to .38 Super (and 9mm Largo) by the late Dick Nickel, parkerized and fitted with a Williams peep sight.

I've been thinking about buying a second SB2 someday soon and doing a couple more custom rebore projects.  Dick Nickel passed away some years back, and my search of the archives under the keyword 'rebore' only turned up JES as a recent recommendation.

I may give JES a try, but for the sake of completeness, are there any other rebore services that any of you have used and can recommend? 

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Rebore recommendations plus newbie greetings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
Can't offer any additional recommendations. I know lots of folks who have been very well served by Jesse of JES and his prices are extremely competitive. Have never heard of a dissatisfied customer.

Nice Handi collection. Love the .38 Super. Unique and excellent.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »
Welcome!  ;) JES is good for .338" and bigger rebores, I've had a few done by Jesse, you won't beat his price or turn around time, $225-$285 and one week.   I've had several barrels rebored by Wayne at Oregunsmithing too, not cheap nor fast, but he does good work, ~$350 and a few months.

Tim

http://www.35caliber.com/

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »
by the late Dick Nickel,

I had a couple of rifles rebored by Mr. Nickel, one being my beloved 338/06.  I swear we spent more of his time on the phone then he made on my barrels.  He was a fine gentlemen of the old school and we shall not see his like again.   :'(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline handishooter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
I have had nothing but positive experiances with Delta Gun Shop/Clearwater reboring

www.deltagunshop.com
Handi family   10mm, 44mag, 6.5 x53r , 25/20, 7.62x54r, 50/70, 45/70, .32 s&w long

Offline ddelaurant

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »

I had a couple of rifles rebored by Mr. Nickel, one being my beloved 338/06.  I swear we spent more of his time on the phone then he made on my barrels.  He was a fine gentlemen of the old school and we shall not see his like again.

I still have one of his letters from 1998 in my files -- he enclosed this photo of a small elk herd transiting his yard.  He was doing a lot of rolling block rifles at the time.  I miss him too!