Author Topic: Cannons supposed to be from Old Ironsides at Nemours  (Read 493 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Cannons supposed to be from Old Ironsides at Nemours
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »
Nemours is one of the many DuPont family properties in the Phila-Wilmington area.  There are two cannons at the "love temple" at Nemours which are said to have served in USS CONSTITUTION.  I've only found one not-very-useful photo of one from the muzzle end, can't tell much at all.
Does anyone have good photos of these guns, other info?  Anyone curious enough to call the place to get photos/info?  Anyone close enough to to go in and take photos, measurements, etc (I'd pay your admission.)
I'm a member of the Naval Historical Foundation, which asked if I could find out anything ahout those cannon, but I don't have time to chase it down myself. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Re: Cannons supposed to be from Old Ironsides at Nemours
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
The cannon is a reproduction of the cannon from the U.S.S. Constitution - "Old Ironsides," the frigate that famously took part in the War of 1812 and other conflicts.       Here is a fake John it's the only thing I found .  Gary 
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
Thank Gary, almost looks like you intended to put a link in or something.  Anyway where did you find that info?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:41 AM »
I believe that he got the info from this blog. Is this the same photo that you're familiar with?
"The cannon is a reproduction of the cannon from the U.S.S. Constitution - "Old Ironsides," the frigate that famously took part in the War of 1812 and other conflicts." I would assume that the tourist that took the photo got her caption from information provided at Nemours.

http://www.kitchensaremonkeybusiness.com/2011/06/xkt-and-rosie-visit-nemours-mansion.html

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 06:15:21 AM »
Thank, I passed along all the info.  But of course I was curious, too.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:32:22 AM »
Yes I did mean to post the same pic cannoneer posted .
I must have dumb thumbed the pic into the O zone somewhere ! :o

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.