Author Topic: Sighting up the Buffalo Classic rifle  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Sighting up the Buffalo Classic rifle
« on: February 16, 2004, 03:19:04 AM »
Okay, undoubtingly every time you ask a question in a group of people, like who's got a question about sights..... you will get... I do, I do  :D

Something I noticed the other night while going thru an old copy of Blackpowder Hunting from the IBPHA Fall issue of 1999.  They've got a great artical on the Whitworth Rifle.  A little study will reveal that this rifle was in fact a muzzleloader BUT,   Here is a link to one such copy Whitworth Rifle The Whitworth Rifle  Now it's not the rifle that I am interested in, BUT the sights they used and the fact that with these sights the Whitworth Rifle was the most accurate muzzleloader ever produced period.  You may ask yourself, WHY is he talking about a muzzleloader here.  Well I'm not... I want you to see the sights they used for this famous rifle.  Now you can have the same accuracy from your Wesson & Harrington 1871 Buffalo Classic as well.  I know, I had a Buffalo Classic set up this very same way with one exception.  I used a silver  blade sight on the front instead of the Swiss Tunnel sight that the Whitworth had on it.

I want to comment about differant sights here.  One must remember that using a Soule or Tang sight as far as hunting goes, your limiting yourself to available light conditions depending on where you hunt.

It is quite differant than using a barrel sight such as those located on which we also covered on the H&R Forum board showing sights like at Track of the Wolf and Thunder Ridge

I just thought I would open the topic up for those considering a change out from the current UGLY Williams peep sights that are now available for the Buffalo Classic rifle.  And for those that just might want to shoot black powder cartridge with their Buffalo Classic's and are wondering where do I get very good bullets to use, you can contact:  Montana Precision Swaging (PO Box 4746, Butte, MT 59702. 406-782-7502) offers an interesting array of slugs for black powder shooters.

Now for those interested in shooting Black Powder in their Buffalo Classic rifles, we can get on that discussion on another thread.  But for those pondering the thought here you go Black Powder 45-70 by Junior Daughty

Offline xnmr53

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 10:08:08 AM »
Has anyone tried either the Track of the Wolf 1873 Trapdoor rear sight or Pedersoli's 1879 Trapdoor sight offered by Thunder Ridge? Would they fit on a Buffalo Classic?

The photography on the TOW site is great, but the particular sight appears to be misaligned. The ladder portion is not parallel to the lower body.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=765&partNum=RS-DP-1873

Does anyone know of a better picture of the Pedersoli sight? The picture in Thunder Ridge is not that good.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 03:10:47 PM »
I was thinking about the possibility of putting one of those long brass tube scopes on mine, they're about as long as the barrel is.  I don't know if the one that Dixie Gunworks has would fit tho.  It's definately a gunsmith project tho, have to drill and tap a couple holes in the barrel for each mount.  Anyone ever done this?

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 06:30:06 PM »
Either sight from Track of the Wolf or Thunder Ridge WILL work.  On a previously owned Buffalo Classic of mine, I had a 1879 Springfield Trapdoor sight, identical to the Pedersoli sight.  These do cost more than the Track of the Wolf ones because they have windage.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 09:39:58 AM »
I spent several hours at a gun show on Sunday. It was mostly military and antigue weapons and parts. I kept an eye out for a sight that I thought might work better than what we've seen, but no luck. I'm still leaning towards the Track of the Wolf sight. I also kept an eye out for a sling for the BC, again no luck. I have however seen one in the Cabellas catalog, listed as a slip on sling. It's made of oil tanned leather, and laces on to the butt, and around the front of the barrel. I want to go to the store and see how strong it looks. It goes for $19.99.
Don