Author Topic: Which first?  (Read 456 times)

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Which first?
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
I've been playing with a couple of ideas since this is tax season and I'll have a few bucks to invest.  My dilema is should I put roughly $260 into my handi for a .357 and 20ga barrel set, or get a .357 revolver?  I can get a nice used one at several local shops for $370-$400 depending on manufacture.  If I get the barrel set, I'll use the difference saved on a pellet pistol for plinking on my camping trips where firearms would draw too much attention.
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
Re: Which first?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
Is there a right answer to that question?

It reminds me of those times my wife asks me if this dress makes her look fat. I can honestly look at her and say, no, the dress does  not make you look fat.

Offline ElkSlayer6x5

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
 well what would you use more ?  If you dont own something you want  its easy to deside
I have a 357 side arm so for me  I would be looking at some other toy..

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
The revolver would be a more practical choice for now, but the other option would get more use.  If you had zero handguns which would you pick?  I'm down to a WMR, .223, and LR long guns due to a long struggle finding a decent job.  Now that that gap is filled, it is time to rebuild my tool choices.  I just have to go slow.
Cricket LR

Offline ElkSlayer6x5

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
if I  had zero handguns , thats easy i would look to get one that filled the need/want...
 I staretd with a  9mm simi auto, then realy wanted a good plinker so I went with a .22lr simi auto buckmark.. then I wanted a little something to pack along big game hunting a .357 revolver.
if  rebuilding a collectionis what your after then eather way you go you up a gun ;D

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »
 + one on filling the handgun niche.

If you are careful about your choice of pistol you can get one that is pretty versatile.  I am thinking a 6" .357 Mag would be good for hunting, trail, or bump in the night!  Knock the barrel length down a little and you might even get it to double as a carry piece.  You can use .357 Mag when you need it, 38 Special when you want to plink.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »
After you get the firearm, give a serious look at Crossman airpistols - 2400, or 1322 with steel breech.  Check out the 'Crosman airgun forum' for awhile and you'll understand these are serious shooters.  Kinda like the 'Handi's' of the airgun world.  Very capable and modifiable.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:52:04 AM »
The 13xx series in high on my list for pellet guns.  I've already found a few diy upgrade/mod articles.  Besides that, I have some discount points that I can use to get a 1377 locally for $45.  That makes it so that I may be able to get it either way I go.  I am leaning more toward the revolver purchase first. 
Cricket LR