Author Topic: 10 gauge with Ultra Slug Hunter barrel  (Read 680 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
10 gauge with Ultra Slug Hunter barrel
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

I have been thinking about if for quite a while and think I am going to send my 10 gauge frame in for the USH barrel in 12 gauge this spring.

I have never shot a slug before and have a few questions.  Your answers would be appreciated.
- Is this barrel worth $100 that it costs?
- What type of slugs do you shoot through a rifled barrel?  Sabot, regular etc?
- Should I shoot 3" or 2 3/4" slugs?  Why?
- How accurate will this gun be at 100 yards?
- Recoil bad?
- Anything else I should know?

Thank you

Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 10 gauge with Ultra Slug Hunter barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »

I have been thinking about if for quite a while and think I am going to send my 10 gauge frame in for the USH barrel in 12 gauge this spring.

I have never shot a slug before and have a few questions.  Your answers would be appreciated.
- Is this barrel worth $100 that it costs?

$96 is just the cost of the barrel, after shipping your frame, return shipping, fitting and tax the cost is close to $160, just a heads up.  ;) Can't help ya with the rest of the questions, the only thing I shot thru mine was 22 Hornet in the insert Larry made me, I ultimately sold the entire gun last year for $185 shipped, exactly what I paid for it several years ago.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline leadbutt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15:32 AM »
Normally for the rifled tubes the Sabot is the way to go, its always best to try a few different kinds to see the grouping, in mine the Light field have done well, the nice thing about the H&R rifled tubes , that I am told is the 12ga is built on a 10ga tube
"Just another day in Oz"

Offline sluggo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:26:26 AM »
 Shooting both 2 3/4 & 3 inch full load slugs through an USH is like the hammer of Thor, great for hunting, but not fun at the range if you plan on shooting a bunch. I can cloverleaf @ 50 and pie plate @ 100 with mine. I buy reduced load bird and upland game 2 3/4's and cast my own 1 oz. slugs with the shot, easy on the shoulder and fun.
...there are many kinds of wounded, and only one kind of dead. Do it the Handi way, one shot, one kill.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:57:33 AM »
the nice thing about the H&R rifled tubes , that I am told is the 12ga is built on a 10ga tube

Only the 12ga USH barrel is on a 10ga frame and barrel, the Tracker II and the Ultralight Slug Hunter aren't.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline st8tman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »
My USH 12 likes 3" rounds in the 1500-1600fps range. The ultra high speed (1800-2100) sabots were all over the place. I guess it is because the 12's are a 1 in 35 twist. Although they do not make anymore, mine loves Remington Buckhammers! A close second in my gun is the Brenneke 3" Black Magic's and a close 3'rd is the ole trusty Winchester BRI (Although the BRI are considerably less powerful) Although the USH is hefty, these full bore 3" slugs will certainly "Wake the Dead"!