Author Topic: 32 pounder Monument gun  (Read 726 times)

Offline Androclese

• Trade Count: (0)
32 pounder Monument gun
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
 I found this while wandering around one day, it has some numbers, and is supposed to be connected in some way to Admiral Farragut. The Bore dia. is 8-1/2 inches. Sad to say its been filled with concrete. There is a small plaque indicating it had been removed from a U.S. Ship, but I don't remember its name.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 32 pounder Monument gun
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
The gun is in actuality an 8-inch Navy shell gun from the 1840's.  Nearby is a 9" Dahlgren shell gun ca. 1860.  A bit more info on the Farragut connection is here:
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?13778-The-Battle-of-Campbell-s-Station

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
     An interesting subject to be sure, Androclese.  Further info about the cannons can be found in the following site:  http://www.metropulse.com/news/2012/apr/25/battle-over-birthplace-adm-david-glasgow-farragut/   from which the paragraph which follows is drawn.

"Farragut, the man, has gotten a lot more attention here just lately. The Town of Farragut, America’s biggest municipality named for the admiral (there’s at least one other, in Iowa), has erected an impressive, larger-than-life bronze statue high on a pedestal, right beside Town Hall. There are other Farragut statues around the country, very prominent ones in New York, Washington, and Boston, but this one’s the newest. His visage is stern, the flap on his coat suggesting a sea breeze. Surrounding it, stone markers telling his story in chapters, with a couple of genuine artifacts: the 32-pounder from the USS Independence, on which the teenage Farragut served just after the War of 1812, and a nine-inch Dahlgren cannon from Farragut’s own flagship, the Hartford."

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Androclese

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
The gun is in actuality an 8-inch Navy shell gun from the 1840's.  Nearby is a 9" Dahlgren shell gun ca. 1860.  A bit more info on the Farragut connection is here:
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?13778-The-Battle-of-Campbell-s-Station

I had only the information given on a small marker placed next to the gun, I had thought a bore of that size to be a bit large for a 32 pounder.  The Dahlgren has no visible markings on it, save for a Naval Anchor symbol near the trunnions.

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 04:40:08 AM »
I've always thought that style of 8" gun of 63cwt had some good looking lines. The bore diameter at the muzzle is 8.5 inches, but it tapers to 8 inches 4 inches from the muzzle. I assume that was to make loading easier.

What sort of carriages would be appropriate for this gun? The pictures Androclese posted show it on part of a pivot carriage, but I've also seen pictures of a front pintle barbette carriage. Would they have been mounted on a Marsilly style carriage?

This picture was taken at Fort Fisher and you can get a higher resolution picture here.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
I've also seen pictures of a front pintle barbette carriage

Jeff that carriage was used by the Army only.  Navy had pivot carriages to be sure but they were quite different.  You may know that but I had to go with what you wrote, as some may take it to mean the Navy used carriages just like the one in the picture.

Offline Androclese

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:10:13 AM »
     An interesting subject to be sure, Androclese.  Further info about the cannons can be found in the following site:  http://www.metropulse.com/news/2012/apr/25/battle-over-birthplace-adm-david-glasgow-farragut/   from which the paragraph which follows is drawn.

"Farragut, the man, has gotten a lot more attention here just lately. The Town of Farragut, America’s biggest municipality named for the admiral (there’s at least one other, in Iowa), has erected an impressive, larger-than-life bronze statue high on a pedestal, right beside Town Hall. There are other Farragut statues around the country, very prominent ones in New York, Washington, and Boston, but this one’s the newest. His visage is stern, the flap on his coat suggesting a sea breeze. Surrounding it, stone markers telling his story in chapters, with a couple of genuine artifacts: the 32-pounder from the USS Independence, on which the teenage Farragut served just after the War of 1812, and a nine-inch Dahlgren cannon from Farragut’s own flagship, the Hartford."
 I normally go out with a notebook, but had left it back that day. So I couldn't write down all the details. I had gone to that area as it was the scene of a battle during the Civil War, having to do with the Siege of Knoxville. Where CSA Gen. Longstreet made an unsuccessful attempt to cut off the forces of U.S. Gen Burnside in order to prevent his regaining the Defensive Earthworks of Knoxville. Knoxville had been well fortified by the Union after it ejected the Confederate forces some time earlier. There was only one important battle in Knoxville, that at Ft. Sanders on the west side of the City. During its 20 furious minutes, the CSA took heavy casualties, as well as captures of their soldiers (about 200) who found themselves stranded in the deep ditch surrounding the Fort.  These surviving men surrendered rather than try their luck recrossing the wire entanglements constructed by Orland Poe, the Union Engineer.  I have pictures of some of these areas as they are today. Sadly, though understandably, some of the historic sited are now under parking lots, and strip malls.

Tracy

I went there to scribble a short bit on the Battle that took place adjacent  to the park for a history site. I knew the guns were there, so thought to post them for the board's enjoyment. I was pleased to see them being genuine rather than the phonies that are sprinkled around the area.