Author Topic: USPS in Cleveland says it's immune from local traffic laws.  (Read 321 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
USPS in Cleveland says it's immune from local traffic laws.
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:38:41 AM »
Postal Service says it’s immune from local traffic laws, report says  Published February 02, 2013
FoxNews.com     
  •    August 1, 2012: U.S. Postal Service trucks are seen in Manhasset, New York. (Reuters)
  A government lawyer is attempting to get dismissed almost $700 in traffic tickets given to U.S. Postal Service employees in Cleveland, claiming it is immune from state and local regulations, Yahoo! News reported.
Postal Service attorney Jennifer. S. Breslin says the infractions, which include speeding citations and red-light infractions, should be ignored.
"In providing mail service across the country, the Postal Service attempts to work within local and state laws and regulations, when feasible," she said in a letter responding to a summons for payment, according to Cleveland.com.
“However, as you are probably aware, the Postal Service enjoys federal immunity from state and local regulation,” Breslin wrote.

The attorney for American Traffic Solutions, the company that enforces East Cleveland's camera citations, referenced the Postal Service's own safety manual, which says truck drivers should and have been held accountable, Yahoo! News reported.
“By attempting to hide behind an immunity claim, you are aiding and abetting your drivers in their blatant disregard for the traffic laws in East Cleveland, which have endangered other drivers, pedestrians and school children," ATS attorney George Hittner said in a response to Breslin.
East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton told Cleveland.com he questions why the Postal Service did not decide to make their drivers pay for the infraction.
The mayor said he is unsure about the validity of the agency's immunity claims.
“I was unaware that the post office doesn’t have to stop at red lights or obey the speed limit,” he told Cleveland.com. “But since they are, I wish I’d get my mail faster.”
Click for more from Yahoo! News.
Click here for more from Cleveland.com.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/02/postal-service-says-its-immune-from-local-traffic-laws-report-says/#ixzz2JkxyTCVN
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: USPS in Cleveland says it's immune from local traffic laws.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:02:52 AM »
Wouldn't that mail truck have to be on some kind of emergency call to be immune from local traffic rules??
maybe they should have sirens and blue lights installed. :o
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline remshooter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
BUT  back in 1986 didnt congress make it so the post office was not part of the goverment any more? that it was its own entintany, and tax dollors would not pay for it and its pension  any more ,and it would have to fend for itsself? whichmeans if it itnot part of the gov. it wouldnot be immune

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »
I see this as real simple. The driver gets the ticket, not the PO. If the driver doesn't pay the fine, put his but in jail. While the Post Office, in their arrogance, can claim immunity, the driver isn't immune. No wonder the PO is going broke.

So how many of you are using the PO anymore? I mail 2 pieces of mail every month and that's all. Otherwise, all my stuff comes and goes via internet. Im pretty much quit doing business with them when they raised postage. I had just bought a roll of stamp and postage went up 2 cents. Why should I have to buy a lot of 2 cents stamps (which they didn't have making my stamps worthless)when they already have my money for postage. Kinda like if you fill yer car up with gas but the price goes up the next day, do you stop at the station and give them more money to use the gas you already bought?

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »
There is an urban legend that PO trucks have the right of way over emergency vehicles and are exempt from local traffic laws. That's all it is-an urban legend. When I was a kid (around 1950) a local cop started ticketing National Guard trucks parked at a local armory for illegal parking. With no plates he was entering the serial numbers of the trucks. The guards men were all getting a big laugh.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
There is an urban legend that PO trucks have the right of way over emergency vehicles and are exempt from local traffic laws. That's all it is-an urban legend. When I was a kid (around 1950) a local cop started ticketing National Guard trucks parked at a local armory for illegal parking. With no plates he was entering the serial numbers of the trucks. The guards men were all getting a big laugh.

The mail car thing is an urban legend that I have heard several times from several different intructors during Emergency Vehicle Operator courses I have taken. One actually went as far to put a question on the exam: " A fire truck, an ambulance, a police car and a mail car all arrive at a 4 way stop at the same time. All of the emergency vehicles are operating with lights and siren. Who has right of way?" Answer was the mail car. I always found this myth to be absolutely preposterous.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?