Author Topic: Forearm studs  (Read 409 times)

Offline DTh2o

• Trade Count: (0)
Forearm studs
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:06:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

New guy here, but on and off have been lurking and learning here for a while.

A while back I purchased a HandiGun II, model 258, 20 Ga./44mag. combo. Nickel finish, like new except the forearm stud was broken off the 20 Ga. barrel.
I didnt need another 20 Ga. I just wanted it for the 44 mag so I never worried about it. So yesterday I'm out shooting away with the 44, I squeeze the trigger, the rifle bucks up hard, and there is the forearm in my hand, seperated from the barrel. The forearm stud has broken off this barrel as well.

The forearm stud on both barrels appears to have been spot welded onto the barrel in two very small spots across from each other.

Does this kind of thing happen often? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I've searched the forum and cant find any reference to it.

It wasnt like I torqued the forearm down, or left it loose, i just had it nicely snugged up to stay in place.

I'm thinking this is a 'factory only' repair job? I have the equipment and ability to silver solder them back into place, but dont want to change the barrel hardness or anything from the heat of the repair.

What do all you folks think?

By the way, the serial number prefix is AZ. Did they change manufacturing techniques that year? Does the nickel plating have anything to do with the method used to attach the stud?

Thanks in advance.
DT

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Forearm studs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:21:46 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the old ones were silver soldered, not welded...hence the problem.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Forearm studs
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:53:04 AM »
Even modern studs that are resistance(spot) welded on at the 4 corners are known to detach once in a while, if it were mine, to avoid heat from either welding or soldering and discoloring the nickel finish, I'd prep it and the barrel good by sanding the mating surfaces with coarse sand paper, degrease and epoxy on with JB Weld or other strong epoxy, then drill and tap it for a couple screws, I used silver solder and screws on my octagon barrels and they seem to work fine. Use the original weld/solder points to locate it in the same position if you can, try to avoid sanding them off.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain