Author Topic: First build Golf Ball Cannon  (Read 714 times)

Offline Yukon1954

• Trade Count: (0)
First build Golf Ball Cannon
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
Delete me please

Offline boomerralph

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: First build Golf Ball Cannon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
What is the OD of the tube at the breech?  Looks visually like a major violation of the 3 to 1 thickness rule. Pardon me if I am mistaken.
Ralph
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL

Offline Yukon1954

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:55:38 PM »
Delete

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
3 to 1 rule as some call it is a minimum standard guideline for safety purposes for cannons.  Yes it is is possible to build a barrel with thinner walls, safely.  Your cannon is a prime example why it you shouldn't.

The barrel doesn't convey confidence by its appearance.  Walls are too thin, trunnions have suspect attachment, it doesn't look like a cannon, it's on a flimsy weak looking carriage.  Nothing about its appearance  conveys confidence that the maker had any idea about how to safely make a cannon.

You aren't going to always be around to explain--the cannon needs to "speak" for its self.   I don't think your cannon is unsafe as far as barrel bursting.    I do have some concerns about trunnion attachment. 

I am a long way from my college metallurgy class and don't recall the various ranges, so I will let someone else comment on the effects heat treating to Rockwell scale c 33/35-- brittle?   I don't really think so, but  someone with more knowledgeable can comment

Overall you cannon just doesn't look safe.   

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
Since its 4140 you should test it with smokeless powder to see how it holds up. I would love to see one of these 4140 cannons fire some smokeless. What does it sound like?

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
Since its 4140 you should test it with smokeless powder to see how it holds up. I would love to see one of these 4140 cannons fire some smokeless. What does it sound like?

Not on this board----this is a black powder cannon board.

What I suggest he should do is add a Sleeve with cascable and knob that slips  over the breech and make it look like parrot pack howitzer. Redesign your cheeks  so they are closer together and not so tall.  Add a transom between the cheeks for rigidity.  Little tiny changes that will make this gun look good and give and appearance of being correctly made.

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
Yukon 1954
Not sure why you deleted your posts and pics but don't run from critism. There are a lot of people here with vast experience in the use of black powder cannons and mortars. I have learned a lot by reading and paying attention to what people say. And I am still learning. They are dedicated to ensuring everyones safety and they will definitely let you know when you could hurt yourself or bystandards.  Do Double D's mods or go back to the drawing board and start with a new project that meets the common safety standards that are listed in the stickies. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask first. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Skidmark is right ! I hope you'll stay around, no one meant anything personal .
It is just that any cannon that is unsafe will be called here (never saw the offending cannon).

You can learn an awful lot here , in fact everyone here is still learning :o .

Gary

Check your IM

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.