Author Topic: .223 ultra fluted varmint  (Read 441 times)

Offline jkkj

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 ultra fluted varmint
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
I have not had this thing out in a while.  The only factory ammo that I got it to shoot well was Winchester 45gr hollow points.  It has been in the safe for a while but I recently sold my varmint AR (somebody needed it far more than I did  ::) ) and am also reloading since I put it up.  I understand the the Winchester 45gr in not available anymore so I was wondering if someone would be willing to share a load or two or at least a bullet this fluted may like.  I had some 69gn hpbt match left that my AR liked so I have loaded up some of them over 335 and 8208 lowest to highest every grain, but not expecting much.  I moved them out close to the lands so maybe that will help.
Any suggestions on a load will be appreciated.

Offline wganz

• Contributor
Re: .223 ultra fluted varmint
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:09 AM »
Measure the rate of twist to find out what you're dealing with.
The reason that I say this is the 'have not had this thing out in a while' comment.
If the barrel has a slower than 1:9" twist, try some 55 <~> 50 grain bullets to see if it likes those.
The rifle that my niece hornswaggled me out of loved 55 grain Remingtons.

Offline jkkj

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:51:57 AM »
It has the 2006 date code and so I measured it, at 1:9.  I have so some 52 and 53 grain hornady bullets in vmax and varmint sp I believe.  If it will not shoot these 69 grainers I'll work with these other two.  Thanks.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:58:42 AM »
The 69 grain should shoot well in the 1:9 twist.  Don't have a 223 handi, but here's a load my Savage Tactical likes.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:01 AM »
jkkj:  I have a load that works great in my Handis, but it is at home and I am currently on vacation.  PM me a reminder and I will send it to you when I get home.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.