Author Topic: .45 Colt XTP loads  (Read 548 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
.45 Colt XTP loads
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:50 AM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for some accurate, general purpose 250 gr XTP loads for my Ruger BH. I have Unique, Universal, HP-38, HS-6, and 2400. Any thoughts on some mild - mid range loads within those parameters?

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: .45 Colt XTP loads
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
2400...I probably need to add a few letters to the post but wasn't necessary.  I load 270gr most but for 250 as well,  2400 is an excellent choice.

Bf

Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
I put the same thing on another post. 10 gr of Unique will give you a good load with mild recoil.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:46:34 AM »
  I would look to Unique or H Universal. There is an issue of 'Handloader' from a handful of years ago that had tables for the full spectrum of 45 Colt loads, from mild to upper end 'Ruger only' loads. You could track a copy down for your data library.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »
For mid-range loads in the 45LC I prefer Hodgdon's Universal to Unique, although the Unique makes good loads they tend to be dirty.  The Universal is on par with the Unique but you don't walk away with black hands after a shooting session.  I use 9 grains of Universal behind a 270 grain Keith style cast bullet, so I think 9-10 grains would work well behind a 250 grain XTP.   BTW, the Alliant 2400 and Hodgdon H110 powders are more in line for full power hunting loads and I would advise not trying to reduce to a lower velocity load for safety concerns.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
I use HS6 in all my 45 colt loads for a Ruger.
12.5 gr with a 255 hard cast (B15) will give you right at 1040 fps from a 5.5" barrel.
Every gun including rifles I have tried this load has loved it and it burns much cleaner then Unique.
This load is from Hodgson manual #26, page 584 and is a full 2 gr under starting load in the silhouette loads section for Rugers.
Seems to work just as good for jacketed loads also.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline omegahunter

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:48:13 AM »
For mid-range loads in the 45LC I prefer Hodgdon's Universal to Unique, although the Unique makes good loads they tend to be dirty.

+1

I was using 12.0 grains Unique and switched because after a box or so accuracy started to go away because the bore was so dirty.  I got rid of the .45 LC a few years back and for the life of me I can't remember which powder I turned to, but Universal does sound right (as I had a bunch of it for my 20 gauge loads).