Author Topic: Steam Boat Salute Cannon  (Read 614 times)

Offline steamerdon

• Trade Count: (0)
Steam Boat Salute Cannon
« on: February 05, 2013, 05:25:45 AM »
I have a Bronze cannon barrel which is 8" long and has an 1/2" bore. I am building a naval style carraige for the barrel, and I intend to mount it on the fore deck of my steam launch. It will fire black powder only and will be used only for show and sound. With all the different types of powder and grain sizes, etc.out there, what would be the best one to use? I am probably looking at 1 pound quatities. Also, what would be the recommended size of charge for this small cannon? Thanking you in advance, Steamerdon

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Steam Boat Salute Cannon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »
I have a Bronze cannon barrel which is 8" long and has an 1/2" bore. I am building a naval style carraige for the barrel, and I intend to mount it on the fore deck of my steam launch. It will fire black powder only and will be used only for show and sound. With all the different types of powder and grain sizes, etc.out there, what would be the best one to use? I am probably looking at 1 pound quatities. Also, what would be the recommended size of charge for this small cannon? Thanking you in advance, Steamerdon

Look up loads for .50 caliber muzzloaders. Those load charts will tell you what granualtion you will need for that cailber-most likely Fg.  Those loads  are for projectiles.  Reduce the load by 1/2 and use a .50 caliber felt wad over the top of the charge.  Work up up loads by increasing the charge  5 grs. at a time until you get the effect you want.  You can exceed those suggested  projectile loads as a blank load but I wouldn't recommend it.

Check with your local gun club and see if the is a black powder gun club in your area.  Make contact with them to buy powder.  You can also look at our  Cannon link list sticky at the top of this forum and you will find a source for Blackpowder suppliers.  Contact them for infomration on small quantity orders.  Most require a minimum of 5 lbs which really isn't that much. 

Offline steamerdon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »
Hey thanks Double D. I think that was a big help.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »
 :) , Steamerdon, welcome to the Forum! Lots of great info here, I think you are going to really like it!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!