Author Topic: Pentax Light Seeker Xl 3x9x40  (Read 559 times)

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Pentax Light Seeker Xl 3x9x40
« on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
Ran across this scope still in the box ,made in USA.Never been mounted I checked it out and could not believe how good it was. It is made like a Burris Fullfield , I have a couple of those, but they do not even compare to this scope.
I would say this scope is close to a Zeiss Conquest in clarity, did not really need it, but the price was right.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Pentax Light Seeker Xl 3x9x40
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:09:49 AM »
from what i here they use the same glass as the buris fullfield II. Probably decent scope but i wouldnt put it up against a zeiss conquest. Ive got a couple of the burris fullfields and id class them more on the line with a nikon buckmaster or 3200 bushnell.
blue lives matter

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:13:09 AM »
Lloyd,
A friend of mine is a customer service Rep. for Redfield Scope Division. He is very knowledgeable about scopes , as he is a collector
also. I asked him about this scope and this is what he said. The older Pentax lightseekers are basically Burris Signatures. The newer Pentax lightseeker is basically a Burris Sig. Select. He said A Pentax Whitetails Unlimited ( I have never heard of this one.) is basically a Burris Fullfield II. He said the Lightseekers are on par with a Leupold VXII-VXIII. I said they ought to be, they retail for $429. If  you ever get chance Lloyd look through the Pentax Lightseeker XL, you might be suprised like I was, Definately a lot better than a Fullfield II.
Jerry

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:47:51 AM »
you could very well be right. Im far from an expert on pentex scopes. About the only ones ive handled are the cheapest line (dont recall the name) and i wasnt impressed. But i guess i shouldnt allow that to make a blanket statement about the brand. bottom line though is another thing that kind of colars my opinion is that im not a big fan of any burris scopes. Ive had more problems with them in the past then probably every other brand combined. I still have a couple fullfields that havent let me down on rifles but i doubt id ever buy another.
blue lives matter

Offline sweetwyominghome

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
Lloyd Smale wrote: "from what i here they use the same glass as the buris fullfield II."
--
I can assure you that is incorrect. The Pioneer (original/not the II series) was the same as the FF II in terms of glass used and inner components. The Lightseeker XLs are a significant step up in quality and do indeed rival the overall performance levels of the Conquests, are easily ahead of the Vari-X III and VX-IIIs and a close performance match to the newer VX3s.

The Lightseekers are as durable as any scope out there. I've tortured a few over the years and never had them give even the slightest hiccup in terms of performance.

Anyone looking for a bargain-priced, high-performing optic should also take a look at some of the older Whitetail Unlimited Series from Pentax (the newer ones are NOT the same). Basically a slightly-improved FFII, they can often be found heavily-discounted and are superb for the $$ spent.   

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
That Lightseeker is junk, you'd do well to just send it to me so you won't be disappointed!  Really though, the Lightseeker is head and shoulders above Pentax's Gameseeker series as far as optical clarity and brightness.   The Lightseekers are about as good as anything you could look through until you get into higher magnifications optics and then the pricier stuff will show their merit.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »
does anyone know if these are put together on the same assembly lines as the burris scopes are? Or they made at a differnt location. If there actually made by burris and assembled there id have to pass. If they are made elsewhere i may have to give one a run someday soon.
blue lives matter

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
Hey Lloyd,
From what I found out from my optics buddy is this. He said prior to 2009 Pentax glass was made in Japan , and assembled there.
From 2009 on, the glass for the higher end Pentax is still made in Japan and assembled in one of 6 places. China, Vietnam, England, Phillipines, and I forgot where else. He said there are only about 12 places in the world that assemble scopes, even Leupold is assembled in Phillipines. He said about 80% of all scopes are assembled in the pacific rim, which I guess is Asian countries. Then you have the European stuff, He said even Burris models below the signature and diamond are overseas. He said there is very little made and assembled here anymore.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »
dont have a clue about the rest but what ive gathered on net is that the only leupold assembled out of country is the rifeman series and the new cheaper redfield. Lots of debate as to whether there lenses are made her or overseas. My guess from the differnt responses is that they do in fact get them overseas. I was under the impression that buris were still assembled in the US but sure could be wrong. If like is said there the same scope as a fullfield then i would have to doubt that at least the fullfields were made here. I do know my latest luepolds a vx2 in 3x9 and 4x12 both have made in the US on the box. I guess though about anyone can put that on a box. My main reason for asking about the pentex wasnt conserning where it was made as much as how it was made. If there made by the same people (no matter where) as the burris scopes then ill stear clear. Just to many problems in the past with burris. I might buy another fullfield if the price is right as it was the last time i did when cameraland was closing out 3x9 bdc models for a 120 bucks. But if im going to drop 3-500 bucks on a scope i feel theres better ways to spend my money.
blue lives matter