Author Topic: Anyone using a red dot or holograhphic site on 44/.357.  (Read 994 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Anyone using a red dot or holograhphic site on 44/.357.
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:25:04 AM »
I really want a pistol caliber rifle.  However,  I don't really want to scope it.  I'm not sure I'd even like a red dot on one.  Any opinions?  I'm contemplating buying the "R Word" rifle in .44 mag since it comes with Irons.. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Anyone using a red dot or holograhphic site on 44/.357.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:54:09 AM »
I tried 3 and 5 MOA red dots on .357, 44 and 45 Colt Handis and didn't care for them.  They were great in low light, but covered too much target to be precise.  I can't use irons any more, so I put low power scopes on them.  I think they'd be fine deer hunting early or late day at close range.  For me, that's a non-issue since, as a rule, I don't use the pistol calibers for deer.  I may need a much longer shot.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:36:28 AM »
I really don't plan to deer hunt with it.  I will be using it on hogs.  I am hunting marshland and do not like to use a rifle out there.  There is only grass to stop the bullet. Most of what I do now shotgun is adequate.  However as I discovered on smaller pigs the shotgun can be too much.  I can't really place my shots.  I do have a 500 SW handi but it is almost 2.00 a shot to shoot.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
A .44 Mag will work well for your needs... we use NDS-38 peeps with Williams Fire sight front ramp... very quick acquisition and good accuracy to 100 yards.

P.S - we have tried red dot sights on many weapons... and have had many go south, including some very high quality units. We have also had batteries go dead at very inopportune times... The only guns that still wear red dots are a few HB20 and HB22 pistols that the kids use to plink pop cans etc... if I had a gun that I NEEDED to work, when I NEEDED it to work, I would use another aiming system.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
I am close.  Put a BSA cheapo red dot on a Savage 24 in 30-30.  The dot is on target, even when the parallax seems like it is way off.  The other day  I was looking at the less expensive laser sights with a weaver mount, wondering how they would work.  I think the hunting regulations will not allow this but don't know about hogs.  One of the little flashlights I have will put a spot out to 200 yards at dusk, will have to try it sometime to see how well it shows in daylight.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
i tried a red dot on mine when
i first got it, but it had to be
adjusted farther than i was
comfortable with and my nephew
had trouble understanding how
to make it work and how to hold
it . it got a low power non-illuminated
scope and works fine. easier for him
to understand to put the "x" right there
and no fiddling with dot intensity as
light conditions change. tack driver
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline sluggo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:48:08 AM »
 I had a Tasco red dot on my 12 ga. ULSH, it was o.k. @ short ranges, but @ long ranges you had to put your cheek in the same spot every shot to be consistent. I put a BlackHawk cheek rest on it and got better groupings, but defeated the whole purpose of buying the 5# gun. I took it off and put a Mueller 3x9x40 Hybrid (4.5" eye relief) on and can throw 1 oz. cast slugs any where I want with great results.
...there are many kinds of wounded, and only one kind of dead. Do it the Handi way, one shot, one kill.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:28 AM »
I really want a pistol caliber rifle.  However,  I don't really want to scope it.  I'm not sure I'd even like a red dot on one.  Any opinions?  I'm contemplating buying the "R Word" rifle in .44 mag since it comes with Irons..

I put a EO-Tech 512 on a Ruger 77-44 and did not care for it . I scoped it and liked it some what better but to be honest the rifle works better with open sights. The bolt handle is somewhat small and the scope interfears with working the bolt, The EO-Tech was to tall and unconfortable to use. If I try anything else I might try a peep sight.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
I really like Peeps as well.  I have one on my 12ga shorty.

I put a EO-Tech 512 on a Ruger 77-44 and did not care for it . I scoped it and liked it some what better but to be honest the rifle works better with open sights. The bolt handle is somewhat small and the scope interfears with working the bolt, The EO-Tech was to tall and unconfortable to use. If I try anything else I might try a peep sight.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:50:39 AM »
  I have a .357 and a 44 handi with red dot sights .   Both are shortys 18" bbls. and have the red dot mounted forward on the barrel similar to a scout  scope.    One of them is a Burris Fast Fire w/ 4 MOA dot and the other is a Bushnell Trophy that has 4 different sighting images .  I have used them to take deer and antelope  and for myself I find them very precise for game up to 150 yards.
I cannot use irons past 50 yards anymore but the red dot works great for me.
 The one thing I dont like about them is that they rely on a battery to work. I missed out on a shot of a lifetime a couple years ago when at the moment of truth when the shot was there the dot was not.  :'( :'( :'(
Cold weather hunting is not the best for battery powered sights.      jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 04:05:05 AM »
I have a Bushnell on my 357. Serves me well on that gun.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:59:24 AM »
Tried a RedDot for about 18mo. on a couple of rifles, it went blank once too often. It did shoot surprising smallish groups in spite of the large dot. I dont see me buying another one.
For your stated purpose I would recommend any rear of barrel mounted peep sights with the shotgun aperture or just the 'ghost ring' (non screwed on) and that Firesight front.
FWIW, you've got a fine 500, why not spend the money on the reloading stuff and make it (and everything else you have) affordable to shoot. Cast bullets and a more manageable recoil load would make it high on my list as practical, and way cool to boot.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »
I have contemplated reloading for the 500 SW.  I lost all of my reloading equipment 8 years ago and never bought anymore.  It seems there is a huge shortage on reloading supplies now.

Tried a RedDot for about 18mo. on a couple of rifles, it went blank once too often. It did shoot surprising smallish groups in spite of the large dot. I dont see me buying another one.
For your stated purpose I would recommend any rear of barrel mounted peep sights with the shotgun aperture or just the 'ghost ring' (non screwed on) and that Firesight front.
FWIW, you've got a fine 500, why not spend the money on the reloading stuff and make it (and everything else you have) affordable to shoot. Cast bullets and a more manageable recoil load would make it high on my list as practical, and way cool to boot.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 04:45:15 AM »
This is a Muzzle loader, but would easily work for a 357/44/45 pistol carbine!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.