Author Topic: Running out of lube  (Read 600 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Running out of lube
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
Ruger #3 .45-70 shooting Laser-Cast 350 FP hard cast.  22in barrel.  Shooting under 1400fps, usually 1300.  Usually not more than 15 shots without cleaning.  Always marveled at how clean the breech end of the bore was after shooting and cleaning.  Thought it was fine.  Didn't think that much about the muzzle. 

Then the other day light hit the muzzle just right and it looked leaded up.  Went to clean again and found it very dirty.  Way more than expected. 

Is this an issue with the lube running out at the end?

Is this a known issue with Laser-Cast? 

I know they don't use Veral's lube.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Running out of lube
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:48:15 AM »
leading at the end of the barrel is caused by either shooting to soft of a bullet for the velocity your using or using a lube that isnt lubing well. Most commercial bullets cast pretty hard. they do it so that bullets arent damaged in shipping so id bet your bullets are hard enough. My guess would be that for the same reason they use hard lubes so it stays on the bullet in shipping and hard lubes are NEVER good lubes. Some work marginaly and some hardly at all.
blue lives matter

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Running out of lube
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:53:37 AM »
All the Laser Cast bullets I have tried ended up leading the bore. Melting out the lube they came with and re-applying my own lube fixes them, as does a coating of tumble lube.

They are plenty hard, even more than required, for what you are doing.

You might want to slug the bore in that #3 and see exactly how big it is. The one I used to have needed .461" bullets to work properly.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."