Author Topic: Lyman Holow Points  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Turk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lyman Holow Points
« on: December 24, 2002, 03:05:12 PM »
Any one cast the Lyman Devastator HP in 44 mag. ?

Thanks,

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Lyman Holow Points
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 05:52:52 PM »
Is that the Lyman 429640HP mould? If so, I own one but have never used it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
Lyman Holow Points
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 04:26:10 AM »
Graybeard,

The 429640 HP is the mould I'm talking about.  You need to run a evalation on it an post it.

My plans was to cast with #2 alloy but I don't know what kind of expansion I'd get with #2.  Probably not much?

Thanks,

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
Hollow Point
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2003, 04:25:40 PM »
If you hollow point Lyman #2 it will just shatter off the front of the bullet on impact. I shoot a 45/70 contender, a 330 gr. cast bullet at 1550 fps.. I cast my bullets out of wheelweights + 2% tin. Then I anneal them in an oven to make them as soft and as ductile as possible. I have a small lathe that I use to hollow point bullets. I use a center drill to drill a hollow point that is much smaller then is in the Devastator HP. I shot two deer this season. Both entrance holes were about 3" in diameter, telling me that even this alloy shattered on impact. I hit a doe in the butt at about 80 yds., broke the rear leg, went through the grass filled stomach, through the lungs, through the off side shoulder blade, and stopped under the hide. It weighed 243 gr.. I could see that it expanded, but the petals of the mushroom broke off. I then hollow pointed the bullets with a .180" diameter drill just untill the sides of the drill started to enter the bullet. The hollow point looks like a shallow v in the meplat of the bullet. But I didn't get to shoot any thing with these bullets yet. I've shot deer with this bullet and alloy with no hollow point, and have never recovered a bullet, even on front shots where the bullet went through the deer end to end. The wound channel showed that the bullets expanded.  I'm just playing with the hollow point to see what they do.
I think rather that using the Devastator HP, I would use the Lyman #429244. This bullet is very accurate in both revolvers and contenders. Cast of wheelweights + 2% tin. Anneal them: one hour at 350 deg., then let the bullets cool to room temperature in the oven. You may not get the classic mushroom shape but the nose of the bullets will kind of rivet up, increasing the frontal area.There will be little weight loss from shattering. You can also use the 310 gr. Lee bullet. Water drop them, and let the big meplat do the work. The Devastator HP might work for shooting ground hogs, where you want to shatter the front of the bullet off.  8)

Offline Orygun Mark

Hollow Point
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2003, 06:04:42 PM »
I shoot hollow point bullets made of straight WW's and  ones with about .5-1% tin added. Never had a straight WW bullet open much on deer.  Last deer I shot was using the Lyman 311334 HP out of an '03. Both entrance and exit hole about 32 cal. Nice 32 cal hole thru a rib. Deer dropped on the spot. WW is softer than WW with tin. A lot depends on the size of the HP, alloy and FPS. I have put these same bullets thru 1/8" steel and the hole wasn't much larger than 30 cal.   Orygun

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
30 caliber hollow point
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 09:19:59 PM »
Orygun Mark, I think what may happen with your 30 caliber hollow point is on impact the nose shatters off and you are left with a 30 caliber wadcutter. If your bullet has enough weight, the 30 caliber flat on the front of the bullet will blow a nice hole. I've shot 30 caliber hollow points, cast of ww+2% tin, into wet newspaper and that is exactly how they acted at impact above about 1600 fps. A friend of mine shoots a Win. 94 in 30/30 using Lyman #311440, which is a 150 gr. bullet with such a blunt nose it is almost a wadcutter. He uses an alloy near Lyman #2 and water drops the bullets. I know they are too hard to expand. His velocity is about 2100 fps.. He says that deer drop in thier tracks most of the time and the bullet blows about a 1.125" hole clean through the deer. Where he hunts his shots are within a 125 yds.. I don't have that mould but I used Lyman #311466 and used my lathe to cut the nose off the bullet, untill the meplat was about .290" diameter. I then loaded the bullet to about what the velocity would be at 50 yds. and fired them into wet news paper. They would blow about an inch hole and penetrate about 20". A 1 inch hole through the lungs of a deer will kill it just as dead as a four inch hole.  8)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Lyman Holow Points
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2003, 11:57:04 PM »
Id try casting with a 20-1 alloy and see what happens. Hey greybeard if you dont use that mold would you consider parting with it?
blue lives matter