Author Topic: I am joining the ranks of Handi ownership  (Read 508 times)

Offline vin

• Trade Count: (0)
I am joining the ranks of Handi ownership
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »
I just put $100 down on a Survivor in .308Win at a local sporting goods store(only place I know around here that still does layaway on anything, let alone on firearms)... it is one of those guns that just plain feels right in my hands... balance, grip, length of pull, everything just right(admittedly, I am a big enough guy that it probably looks a little silly at my shoulder... luckily, deer don't laugh, or at least not for very long)... really looking forward to getting it paid of in the next few weeks and bringing it home... overall, the gun looked tight(which, considering it is new, isn't really surprising) but there was one slight issue, while not one that I am that concerned with(IE, should have no effect on the safety or performance of the gun, and is something I should be able to easily fix), had me wondering if it is a common issue... the screw holding the top of the butt-pad is really tight, to the point of preventing the pad from swinging open when the bottom thumbscrew is unscrewed, and the screw-head is kinda torn up... just wondering if this is commonplace or just a fluke...

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: I am joining the ranks of Handi ownership
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:02:39 AM »
Welcome aboard Vin! I don't currently own any Handi's with the Survivor stock but the ones I've seen and handled were a little stiff to remove the bottom screw and swing over the pad. I suspect it's something that gets easier the more it's used. I doubt the factory would mess up the screw head like that.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »
Welcome aboard. You've just entered one of the more fascinating segments of your life.

I had a survivor stock once and don't remember it much because they aren't my cup of er....tea.  ;)
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
welcome and congrats to your newest addiction ???
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
A few years back I bought  Survivor .308... the stock set stayed on it for about five minutes when I got back to my shop... put a Boyd's set on it and gave the Survivor set to a friends son... needless to say I was not a fan of the feel for me... but the screws were tight on that one also... I think they just require a little usage to loosen them up.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline vin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
Thanks everybody... I'll post some pics when I get it home