Author Topic: nature verses man - cbs  (Read 699 times)

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
nature verses man - cbs
« on: February 18, 2004, 05:01:11 AM »
Did anyone see the segment last night on CBS on deer in suburban areas being a problem?

Here it is from: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/17/eveningnews/main600759.shtml

(CBS) They've become the "neighbors gone wild."

CBS News Correspondent Bob McNamara reports many expanding suburban communities, and even some cities, face a dangerously expanding deer population. In backyards, they graze on shrubbery and feud over territory. They scramble through an empty Washington D.C. subway stop and into Colorado streets.

They're a costly municipal menace that some call a nice problem to have.

"They wouldn't think that if they were faced with $1 million worth of damage and, you know, 50 or 60 dead deer on the road that need to be disposed of. It's not a nice problem to have," says Gerry Astorino, the mayor of Lakeway, Texas.

Now Lakeway and Hollywood Park are trapping their deer, thinning herds that have grown to more than 1,000.

The deer will be processed, and the meat donated to food banks. But the sight of Bambi going to be butchered has brought protests.

"We don't want it to be just trap and trap and trap and slaughter, slaughter, slaughter until they're all gone," says Debbie Trueman.

But Sunny Williams, who had a knee-shattering collision with a doe, isn't as sympathetic.

"They don't care about people that are severely injured," says Williams, adding that they had to put his knee back together with wires and screws.

Nearly half the cars in a body shop visited by CBS News hit deer.

"If I had to guess, an average repair is probably $3,000 or so," says John Caldwell.

One of the biggest parts of the problem is urban and even suburban populations moving further and further out of cities and into areas once known only to wildlife.

"I don't know that there's a long-term solution to suburban deer problems in this country," says Bryan Richards, of Texas' Parks and Wildlife Dept.

And so residents here continue to hotwire their flowerbeds with electric fencing, literally wrapping their homes in wire to keep deer away.

Relocating them to ranches, experts say, is just a temporary fix.

"I think that communities have to become more accepting of lethal means of population control," says Richards.

Today, Highland Park, Ill., captures does and a veterinarian surgically sterilizes them. It's very expensive. But for gun-shy suburbs, it may be the only option to keep the backyard from becoming a jungle out there.

----

Ok did you catch the ending?  "But for gun-shy suburbs, it may be the only option to keep the backyard from becoming a jungle out there."

They were catching the deer in nets!!!  No gun was ever used...  :roll:

And I was totally repulsed by the sight of a deer, drugged, put on a stretcher and put in the back of an ambulance with a vet inside cutting up her reproductive organs, the sound of someone giving blood pressure and other stats in the background.  :shock:   That's sick!

How far gone is our society that we can't stand the sight of seeing deer being slaughtered to feed the hungry, but embrace the sight of sidewalk surgeries "fixing" the deer.

tonight's topic is "when beers drop by for dinner": http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/16/eveningnews/main600519.shtml

Sorry, had to vent.  The thought of people needlessly going without meat and my tax money paying to "fix" deer really chaps me!

Later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 05:05:39 AM »
here's tonights segment, I just got done reading it.  :roll:

People putting peanut butter on their kids faces to get pictures of the bears licking it off?   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Sounds like a Darwin award winner in training to me...

(CBS) As human habitats expand into ever smaller wildlife areas, the coexistence of creatures great and small can be thrown out of balance - even become dangerous.

For instance, when people and bears end up in close quarters, the result can be a close encounter of the worst kind.

These days in a place like Lake Tahoe, it's not hard to find a 400-pound black bear sacking out for winter.

According to bear watcher Ann Bryant, bears are becoming so comfortable around people that this winter, about half of them just invited themselves to stay over.

Some have developed a habit of taking cover and sleeping under houses, while others have skipped hibernation altogether and porked out to double their normal sizes.

"They find garbage and some people put food out for them. They see a bear in winter and say 'Oh the poor bear looks hungry,' and leave a bowl of food out," says Bryant.

Black bears living in the Lake Tahoe area used to cover up to one 100 miles of rugged terrain looking for food, but since they have discovered urban living there is little reason to leave town, a circumstance that has given Lake Tahoe the second highest bear density in the nation, reports CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes.

Bear-proofing garbage cans is one way to stop so-called "dumpster-diving," but so many bears are dependent on human food that some are forgetting how to forage for food and have begun breaking into houses.

Caretaker Gena Ruschmeyer says a bear broke into her refrigerator and made a mess with a can of beer. "We ended up with glue made out of flour and beer," she says.

Celebrities have been seen cuddling up to bears lately, such as in a recent Animal Planet special featuring Jennifer Aniston.

Experts say when celebrities are shown cuddling up to bears, it reinforces the idea that bears and people belong together.

Nevada Fish and Wildlife Officer Carl Lakey knows they don't.

"The chances of serious conflict between bear and person is increasing the more the bears hang around this area," he says.

When bears wander into human terrain, Lakey shoots at them using rubber bullets trying to re-teach the bears to fear humans so he doesn't have to resort to real bullets.

Bears were killed in a similar incident in New Jersey, where for the first time in 33 years bear hunting licenses were given to just about anyone willing to kill a bear.

That event was heartbreaking for Bryant, who says it's not just the bears who need re-training.

"We have had people who have painted peanut butter on kids faces so the bear will come up and lick the peanut butter off the child's face and get a picture of it," says Bryant.

Between the curious and the concerned, it's humans who have caused this showdown, but it's the bears who almost always end up the losers.

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 06:01:40 AM »
I liked it better when you had beers dropping by for dinner :grin:   Then you ruin it all by telling us it was really bears  :cry:

STUPID PEOPLE, what can you do.  Just give the (gov) enough time and we will all be running around protected in chainmail suits because a bear mauled some kid whose &%^#@$$ parents put peanut butter on his face,  stupid people  :(
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 06:21:32 AM »
Correction, the bears (beers) were monday, tonight is MT lions!

later,
scruffy

Offline Gratman

nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 06:57:05 AM »
Scruffy..
Is this a special egment, or part of the National News???    I would like to watch these stories.

Gratman
Gratman

...and remember....all plumbing is temporary...

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 06:57:32 AM »
Thursday will probably be the udder distruction caused by the bloodthirsty and violent squirrel.  We will here about the dangers of these meek looking creatures.  Yes, these creatures, who are really the down fall of mankind and not the cute, furry creatures that we have come to` love.

We will hear how they are responsible for billions of dollars in damaged tires by sacrficing themselves.  Not to mention the millions of lost dollars due to all of the nuts these vial creatures steal from your own lawn :eek: .  

Yes the world will be a much better place when all of the people move into the inner city and leave the rest for the world to the poor animals.  :roll:
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 07:11:08 AM »
Quote from: Gratman
Scruffy..
Is this a special egment, or part of the National News???    I would like to watch these stories.

Gratman

It's at the end of the normal regular nightly news, it's the last segment of each night this week I believe.

I'll be watching tonight with added interest.  A mt lion was shot about a half hour south of me a month or so ago.  Last Saturday after I got in from coyote calling in the timber with my 22 mag sportster I hear a mt lion was spotted 3 miles south of me a couple hours before I headed out.  Hmmmmm, maybe that deer I heard when I was calling wasn't a deer that I heard.  :shock:

After I talked to a few folks down there to cut through the rumor and find the facts, I don't know if there was a mt lion or not.  With 12" of snow on the ground, dead calves supposedly killed by the mt lion, etc. no one remembers seeing a track in the snow.  :roll:  Well, no track in the snow no mt lion in my book.  The calves were probably kill by coyotes, as they are every year in my area.  And stories of other people in the area didn't add up either.

Anyway, just to safer I'll leave the single shot 22 mag in the safe for awhile and use the mini with a 10 round clip/red dot for most of my coyote calling work or the weatherby 270 w/100gr psp.  

As far as mt lion attractant, I have about 2 dozen deer grazing on oaks at night around my house (withen 100 yards of the house), about usually a half dozen all day long, and timber from where the mt lion was spotted to my place.

Hmmm, here kitty kitty kitty.

later,
scruffy

Offline Gratman

nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 08:25:35 AM »
Appreciate it Scruffy....I will watch with interest too....Mt Lion was killed on the I-70 between Kansas City and Columbia a year or so ago...then they had one in downtown KC just last summer.....the article said something about the condition of the foot pads let them know it was a wild cougar...and not just a "pet" that was let out into the wild...
Gratman

...and remember....all plumbing is temporary...

Offline JPH45

nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 12:44:48 PM »
I agree with 22KHornet...Stupid People :eek:  :eek:  :eek: I remember some 20 years ago or so in "Wildlife Friendly" California. Folks were surprised to find out that the coyotes they had been feeding in their backyard were draggin off their children.......and EATING THEM :eek:  :eek:  :eek: OH MY GOD!!!!!! One unfortunate had the gall or ignorance to stand in front of the camara and make the statement "They are behaving just like wild animals" :shock:  :shock:  :shock: Just what the hell did they expect???? Pets????  I wonder what they think "wild" means.     Stupid People.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 03:14:45 PM »
It's really sad, what has been crawling out of the shallow end of the gene pool these days, isn’t it?      
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline JPH45

nature verses man - cbs
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 04:00:58 PM »
Major, I think their gene pool is stagnant :roll:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc