Author Topic: I don't reload so which factory cartridge will you recommend for...  (Read 2122 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I don't reload so which factory cartridge will you recommend for...
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »
My train gets derailed all the time!  :-[  :-X :-\ :o ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »
it totally agree with what others have said - get into reloading.  not only will it save money (unless you build and shoot 4x as much ammo as before!), you can make better rounds for your gun and you, and it's satisfying and gives ya something to do when yer not actually making things go "Bang!". :)  i've been reloading since the early 60's and it's quite easy, BUT you need to understand what yer doing and think safety.
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
You better get it!  That sounds cheaper than sending your frame in for rebarrel!  When you consider shipping and handling, fitting fee and return shipping added to cost of a rebarrel,  you would be ahead buying local.

Edit:  I figured it up and sending in a frame for fitting would run you about $160 plus tax so I was a little off on that.  But if the one in the gun store is an ejector and you like that, you can't get that from the factory any more.  ;)
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Around here the handis and Pardners juat get looked over. That is how i have became addicted. With three kids I can pick up 2 for the price of another quality bolt action gun. Now the gun shops are full retail on new but used are very negotiable. Handis at the gunshows are always never more than 200 unscoped in most cases. Pardners are always $100 and under.  Now when i say that guys that is for common examples. For example last week i picked up a nice 12 ga modified and a youth 20ga 22" and between the two i have $175 bucks and the gun show find laminate 243 $200. I cant buy 3 quality firearms for $375.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
I started reloading cause a guy sold me, cheap, a colt python, and some reloading gear for it.

the Rockchucker got a lot of use.

I'd take it to work and load up 300-400 rounds on a run of night shifts.

then I'd go into the forest and pop them off!

I read a lot, I learned a lot, AND I had more fun then I could buy!

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
.30-06 is pretty damned hard to beat in the all around.
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 05:47:02 AM »
I would take a long hard look at what is available on the ammo shelf. Unless of course you don't care when you might shoot your new rifle.

I would certainly not consider .223, or .308 for that matter. Plenty of rounds that can match them and not be over priced or unavailable.

The .243 has plenty to offer in the whitetail and under category. The .270 for moose and under category. The more unique a round is a person would do well to stock pile a hundred rounds of hunting fodder. Then you won't be at the whims of the factory, to decide to tool up for .257 Roberts, or keep on keeping on with .308.

This is my personal strategy, I have enough ammo sat aside to last about two hunting careers for each hunting rifle. I'll never be lucky enough to fire a hundred rounds at elk with the 300mag, including practice, same for the .325mag, and the 45-70. I'll buy ammo to shoot for fun but the inventory stays the same, a hundred on the shelf and 20 in the range bag for example.

A final thought, save your brass. Some day pick up a couple boxes of bullets and an equal number of primers for that brass. If what you own is quite unique pick up a die set one day. You'll run across someone who will be willing to show you the ropes one day. That afternoon you'll go home with "nearly free" ammo.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 06:08:20 AM »
As much as a 45-70 is a hoot to shoot!

If you DO NOT reload it is not a cartridge I would want to buy factory ammo for. Basically you get 3 bullet weights. IE  300,325,405. None of them are reasonably priced.

Add some pricey cast bullet loads that will rock your world. :o

What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »
"My name is Stewmagoo and I dont reload....."
HELLO Stewmagoo
Factory cartridge???? Why be joined at the wallet to The Factory?
Most of us have guns to shoot. If you cant find or make ammo you cant shoot. Do you want to be able to shoot? If yes, YA GOTTA RELOAD!
Spend some money on the stuff, it does not have to be the most expensive or fanciest stuff. You will NEVER regret it (how many things in life can you say that about?).
Forgo the next bullet firing launchpad and get the reloading stuff first.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
If I were to buy 1 Handi to do it all, it would be a 30-30. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, and available any where ammo is sold. You can use it for varmints or deer out to 200 yards. Just buy different ammo for it's purpose. You could even use it for elk or moose in a pinch, if you do not shoot too far and place a well constructed bullet where is counts. The 30-30 has a reputation for being accurate in the Handi platform.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
I couldn't agree more!  I bought a Handi barrel in 30-30, liked it so much I got another one.  The ammo is available even in times like this, when everyone went crazy, and bought up all the 22LR's, .223/5.56, .308/7.62, 9mm, etc..  I went to my LGS recently to buy components/ammo for the 223, 308, 6.62x39, some 22's, for a range session.  Guess what the answer was? nada! none! zilch!, but he still had a couple of boxes of 30-30.   So if you don't reload at this time, the 30-30 is a good caliber to own.  I would save the brass for when you eventually decide to reload.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
The inexpensive Lee Anniversary kit will get you up and running... Just buy an inexpensive digital scale that has a calibration weight... It will help in time and precision.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
Pick what ya want and get busy reloading! If your gunna shoot much, ya better get with it. I'm to the point now that if it has a primer I reload it! But if you don't know anyone with some "hand me downs" to start off with, my personal recommendation would be to buy stuff you won't outgrow. It takes long enough to recoup your initial costs so theres no reason to do it twice. Or three times for that matter.
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.