Author Topic: Custom 20 gauge shells  (Read 900 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Custom 20 gauge shells
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »
Sorry for no pictures, but I shipped it already.  I have a place in Arizona directly across the road from a "shotgun shooting shot" only hunting area.  I built up a purpose built H&R 20 gauge for Coyotes.  Cut the barrel to match the length of the receiver with stock, right at 19 inches, then bored and threaded it for a choke tube, I picked the ones for a Beretta because they are easy to do, the threads are on the muzzel end.  I can now put it in a back pack and walk out of my area without upsetting the old blue hair ladies.  Problem I found was finding any kind of loads other than slugs and #6 shot, until I found this guy.  http://www.custombuckshot.com/ Real nice guy and he loads up most anyting you could want in 20ga, I picked up a bunch of "T" size shot for my purpose, you may need something different.  So for our H&R 20 gauge people, if you need something to shoot that you can't find, take a look here.  I will post some pictures when I snarf a Coyote with one.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
Re: Custom 20 gauge shells
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
Hello Trotterig, 
I also live in Az and over the years have sort of picked up an extended Navajo family.  I am not real sure of matriarchal relations but I have a whole bunch of marriage related relatives due to a nephew marrying a Navajo lady.  About six years ago I was looking for a cheap jeep gun and my brother in law gave me a very, very beat ub CB 151(?) 20 guage.  This gun had a taped on recoil pad, crinked barrel end and was so rusted it wouldn't break open.  I cut barrell to 20" and soaked in solvent,  soaked action in solvent, carved the tape and recoil pad off it to find a 3" crack.  I  cut off cracked stock section and with a lot of sanding found hardwood (mahogany) underneath.  Got the action working and painted all metal instead of reblueing, cooked metal parts at 250 in the oven for an hour and got chewed out when my wife got home.  There was some latigo laying around so I braided a sling, added some buffalo head nickels, then used a barrel band to hook on the front sling mount.  What I wound up with was a 36" overall 4lb 20 guage.  A 15 yr old Navajo neice came by with her grandparents and I gave the gun to her along with a sidesaddle band and some shells in 6 chill, 4 chill, 2 chill and two boxes of buck hammers.  She left walking on air and I got a letter from her saying it was perfect for watching grandma's sheep.  Since then I have made a few more just for fun using Handi 20 ga and have given away all but one for the Jeep.  I am not sure about watching grandma's sheep but in the time since I started doing this I have eaten more than a few elk and mule deer backstraps and made quite a bit of sausage from people,  Navajo kindred, dropping by to say hello and maybe spend the night while heading down to Phoenix. 
Reort is that a young lady with a 20ga and a mix of 6,4,2chill and a handful of buckhammers can not only watch sheep but can also hunt for the pot.  Ah, you ought to see my jeep gun, I think I went a little bit overboard on this one.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
That is one of the best postings I have seen in about a hundred years.  I love Arizona, I stay there as much as I can.  Everyone I meet is great, just a very plesant place to be.  Good luck and keep up the good work.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Glassman66

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:14:50 AM »
Hello Trotterig, 
I also live in Az and over the years have sort of picked up an extended Navajo family.  I am not real sure of matriarchal relations but I have a whole bunch of marriage related relatives due to a nephew marrying a Navajo lady.  About six years ago I was looking for a cheap jeep gun and my brother in law gave me a very, very beat ub CB 151(?) 20 guage.  This gun had a taped on recoil pad, crinked barrel end and was so rusted it wouldn't break open.  I cut barrell to 20" and soaked in solvent,  soaked action in solvent, carved the tape and recoil pad off it to find a 3" crack.  I  cut off cracked stock section and with a lot of sanding found hardwood (mahogany) underneath.  Got the action working and painted all metal instead of reblueing, cooked metal parts at 250 in the oven for an hour and got chewed out when my wife got home.  There was some latigo laying around so I braided a sling, added some buffalo head nickels, then used a barrel band to hook on the front sling mount.  What I wound up with was a 36" overall 4lb 20 guage.  A 15 yr old Navajo neice came by with her grandparents and I gave the gun to her along with a sidesaddle band and some shells in 6 chill, 4 chill, 2 chill and two boxes of buck hammers.  She left walking on air and I got a letter from her saying it was perfect for watching grandma's sheep.  Since then I have made a few more just for fun using Handi 20 ga and have given away all but one for the Jeep.  I am not sure about watching grandma's sheep but in the time since I started doing this I have eaten more than a few elk and mule deer backstraps and made quite a bit of sausage from people,  Navajo kindred, dropping by to say hello and maybe spend the night while heading down to Phoenix. 
Reort is that a young lady with a 20ga and a mix of 6,4,2chill and a handful of buckhammers can not only watch sheep but can also hunt for the pot.  Ah, you ought to see my jeep gun, I think I went a little bit overboard on this one.

Hodr

Well if we ought to see it, lets see it!  :)

Randy

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
As a lover of the 20, I appreciate this info!