Author Topic: H&R model 157 Mannlicher stock  (Read 1392 times)

Offline capt45

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Avid Poster
H&R model 157 Mannlicher stock
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »
I am looking at purchasing this rifle, as I haven't seen one with this type of stock for a long time, but it is missing the rear iron sight and the receiver has some rust/pitting. Trying to decide if I should wait and hope to find one in better condition or purchase this one and fix it up.
Any ideas on where to find the sight....I looked on Numrich but could find it listed.
Thanks,
Rob

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Re: H&R model 157 Mannlicher stock
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »
Really you should get it for the right price.  The sight was probably a Lyman flip up rear in a dovetail.  Currently available retail.  You didn't mention caliber or price.  Is the bore good?  All my Toppers are were a little rusty before I got to them. 
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:18:11 PM »
Buy it... The problems are all fixable and you may not find another one... Point out the flaws to the seller and talk him down in price.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline capt45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
It was at the local GS. 30-30 is the caliber. They were firm on the price of $225, I offered $175 but they just said no....I will try again on Friday...
If I just hadn't of bought a like new 30-30 NEF handi rifle last week for $200, I would have jumped all over this one.....30-30 are(were) hard to find for me up until  now.

Rob

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
I have one of those

it is a real nice rifle!

$225 is still a good deal I think!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:13 AM »
Snooze ya lose!!!!!!
Like, when ya gonna FIND ANOTHER ONE???
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »
Better hurry. I may just jump in the car this weekend and drive all over the great state of "Caint Tuck" and see if I can find it.

Offline capt45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
Went back to the store and bought it....Here she is:

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »
Yep, you get the 'Lucky Dog' award today for it still bein' there!
Bet you have a bunch lusting here again  ;D ......
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »
I missed out on one of those recently, 7mm-08, thought I had it. Then it dissappeared.  :o
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
So you got a rifle, sling, scope and mount for that.  Lot's more for that kinda deal down here. Pretty clean looking too.  Good for you.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline capt45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »
I was able to get it for 200 (plus tax). I was happy it was still there. Brought it home took some pictures, then took it completely apart.
Gave it a good cleaning and removed all the rust the best I could. There is a some pitting and discoloration on receiver and barrel exterior. But the bore is nice shiney and clean. The receiver internals was a little "gummy" but that's now all cleaned up and it now has a nice smooth trigger (thanks perklo).
All in all I am pleased. Here is how it looks....Now I need to find the rear sight and butt plate.

Thanks for looking,
Rob

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
I love those kinds of deals!

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
Wasnt there a hard plate on the classifieds recently? Still, they are all a grind to fit as they do the buttstock. If you want a classy one look on Track of the Wolf at the British Sporting Rifle styles, they have a really nice steel one with fine checkering and a Widow's Peak at the top that would dress it up if it would come close to fit.
Or make a thin cardboard template to carry in your wallet, every gunshow seems to have at least one guy with a bin full of buttplates, find the closest one and file it in to perfect with some care.
Something like the old El Paso Weaver low power scope with the straight objective looks right on that style to me too (mine are 2.5 and 3x, but there are other brands to like that). A set of Talley QR rings goes nice too.
That sight will likely be a Lyman or maybe Williams dovetail unit and comes in several heights. It is probably the nominal 3/8 dovetail so you could even use a nice sight for a muzzleloader once you figure out what height you need.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 02:55:57 AM »
I have a 22 Hornet that I bought new, sold to a guy I know, then ended buying back - glad I did way back then. I've thought about getting a walnut stock and making a walnut forearm to match the original, but just never have.  Nice find - wish it had been me!  I'd love to have a 30-30 to go with the Hornet.  As for a rear sight, you might also look at the Williams Fire sights I see them on Ruger 10-22's that use the dovetail rear sight, so they probably have one that would work for the Handi .... Just another option unless you are trying to go back original.

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 03:25:14 AM »
Hey! An old Topper like that deserves a little rust here and there! NICE FIND!
Sometimes showing 'age' is not so bad! I show a little age, too at 62 years of age.....and all the 0000 steel wool and oil in the world ain't going to improve my looks any! :  )