Author Topic: Which case trimmer?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Which case trimmer?
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
I'm going to use my Christmas gift certificate to buy a case trimmer and I'm undecided between Hornady & RCBS.  Any recomendations?

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Which case trimmer?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
I went with the Lyman and bought the power adapter at the same time.  I use a small rechargeable drill/driver and it makes trimming go fast.  Hands don't hurt either.

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
I have the RCBS 110V, it works great!
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 02:31:31 AM »
RCBS has a rebate if you buy before 12/31/2012.

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer

I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 02:53:12 AM »
FM
I have other RCBS equipment and it all seems excellent quality.  Mine will probably be a manual model as I only have so much money in the gift certificate.  I guess Santa is still a little upset about me shooting that buck with the red nose. ;D

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 03:42:57 AM »
Star1pup,

It all depends on how much brass you need to trim and how much time you want to spend trimming the brass.  They will both work well for you.

Merry Christmas!

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
FM
I have other RCBS equipment and it all seems excellent quality.  Mine will probably be a manual model as I only have so much money in the gift certificate.  I guess Santa is still a little upset about me shooting that buck with the red nose. ;D
I know it's after Christmas, but if you haven't purchased a case trimmer yet.  If you have to get the manual model get the one that is upgradable to using a drill to power the trimmer.  I know Hornady and RCBS both make one that's upgradable, the other manufactures probably do also.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
Take a look at the Lee system,
It's too easy, always repeatable, always the same.
 Did I say it's too easy?
found elsewhere

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »
necchi - I agree with your comment about the Lee Case trimmer, being easy, and repeatable. 

The only thing that I have a complaint about is that you have to purchase a different case length gauge/holder for every caliber that you reload.  This is a great system, if you only reload one or two calibers, but paying $6 for every caliber you reload can get quite expensive, if you reload many different calibers.  In my case it would be one for the each of the 12 rifle calibers I reload for.  This is not counting the pistol calibers, which I usually don't bother with case trimming.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »
I load for 6 different (so far) and I guess I just started with 1 and added as I expanded.
So picking one up here and there wasn't bad at all.
I did learn that the "Zip trim" tool by Lee is alot easier/reliable than the drill attachment they send with the cutter head.

I guess it would be spendy to have to jump in and by all the calibers at once, but most guy's starting out don't go that route,,
found elsewhere

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:37:12 AM »
necchi,

I'm going to give the Lee Zip trimmer a try.  As a matter of fact I posted a WTB ad for the complete package in the reloading classifieds.  I'm only looking to use it for one caliber (223), as I have a lot of brass for that one.  The other calibers, I think I'll just stay "old school" and use the regular hand trimmer.

Offline sgte5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »
I've been using the Lyman universal timmer with the power adapter for over 25 years and it has never given me a problem. It's very fast and easy to use. I wouldn't be able to guess how many thousands of brass I have trimmed with this system. The one thing I have to really be impressed with, is how many times I've pulled the trigger on my old Black and Decker 3/8 in drill. And it still works. I use it for deburring and chamfering each piece after using it on the trimmer. Not bad for a 43 yr old drill. I know the modern ones wouldn't hold up this way.

Offline scooter1979

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »
I too am in the market for a case trimmer.  Seems most of the brands are pretty good based on posts I've been reading.  Ive been using the lee trimmers for a while and have had good luck with them, but my newest toy (17 hornet) lee doesn't make a case gauge to use, so it looks like Ill be buying a regular case trimmer.  Sounds like the trimmers with the power adapters would be the way to go.  Thanks for the info in these posts
Scooter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:21 AM »
I would go with the Lee, I have a Forester which works great, but since I started measuring actual chamber lengths I don't do much trimming anymore and a Lee would suffice. I'm trying to grow my brass so there is only .010" gap instead to fill the gap that is present if trimming to recommendations. Since doing this my accuracy has improved, I can load closer to the lands on some calibers and I save a lot of work. Instead of trimming, I just sort lots of brass based on length. You would be suprised how little brass grows when you want it to...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
Not sure I understand all the discussion unless this is a high volume deal. Just get any one that will trim the case back to where you want. I use an old Forester, I think that's what I have. But if you went to the most expensive trimmer you could find and compared the results to the lee trimmer, the end result would be the same!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
I use the Lyman Universal for everything that Lee doesn't make a trimmer for, I have modified several Lee trimmers to work for those they don't, the 17s are too small tho, 204R is the smallest. I modified a Lee cutter to work in an RCBS Trim Mate as shown in Dave's video so I have a do-it-all prep station.

Tim

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading-stickys-only/20511-rcbs-trimmate-action.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 10:38:36 AM »
I have a very old Lyman that came with an elec. motor. It works great. BUT when possible I use the Lee hand case trimmers in a battry drill faster.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !