Author Topic: H&R NEF Barrels  (Read 822 times)

Offline Norminator

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R NEF Barrels
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:58:54 AM »
Does anyone know of a barrel maker and or gunsmith that will do custom barrels and calibers.
I saw a picture of an octagon barreled Handi on the net with no description of where it came from.
I take it "stubbing" has it's limitations. Living in Canada also has limitations for the average gun nut.
You guys down south have access to so much good stuff.H&R

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R NEF Barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:11:42 PM »
I know of a couple members with octagon Handis, myself and Fred M, we did our own on home mills, all were done on H&R barrels, he did a 257 Roberts and 6x47, mine are 444 Marlin and 405 Winchester, I dunno of anyone else that's done em(or I forget if I did :-[), but it's not hard, just time consuming. Non one makes H&R barrels except H&R, although they can be made from a stubbing process(see FAQs), but most custom barrels that aren't just rechambers are rebores of existing H&R barrels. Both Oregunsmithing and JES Reboring do them and have done many for members here. Fred lives in Canada, he website tells where he got them done.

Tim

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/257wp3.html

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Relining-Reboring-MuzzleBrake.html

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Norminator

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
Thanks Quick. I have a bull barrel .223. Would Fred be able to turn that into a 38-55 or 405 win?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »
No, Fred doesn't do rebores, he mentions who did for him in the first link I posted, Fred lives in Canada except when he goes south for the winter.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
Norm... I have a guy doing a stub for me as we speak, but I would want to see and test the finished gun before I recommend him... he didn't know what stubbing was when I approached him about the project, but it took him all of an hour to buy a Handi to try a stub for himself... I was willing to wait for the "guinea pig" trial... if you shoot me a PM, I will get back to you once I have the project gun back.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »
Hoyt, I too would be interested in a report on quality, and cost.

I've got a couple ideas in mind.....