Author Topic: 25 cal cats  (Read 5538 times)

Offline wackmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
25 cal cats
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:41:57 PM »
As some of you already know I'm a wild cat kind of guy. I own 1 factory rifle a rem 7600 pump 30/06 I bought it when I was 15 years old and the only reason I still own it is my wifle has laid clame to it. Back in the early 80's I got a ruger m77 tang safty verment 25/06 and just loved that rifle. It was my first real long rang rig. It had a leupold 6.5-20 scope. This is the rifle that started the love affare with the 25 cal. So to inprove it I chamberd it in a .015 body taper 36deg shoulder one cal neck. 68gr h1000 nosler 100gr B-Tip bullets cci mag primers 3445fps. That rifle ould group .4 -.5 at 100yrds. That is what got me hucked on wild cats 257wby out of 25/06 case! It didn't take long to shoot that bbl out. So I built anouther and anouther and onouther. after 6 i wonted more so i sold the rifle with a rem take off in 25/06 and bourgt a rem 700. I chamberd that in a 257 -300 wby with a hart hunter waight 1-14 twist 28" bbl.With 76.0 gr rl22 85gr b-tip 4050 fps. Man what a ciyotie and rockchuck rifle that made!!!!Scence then I have had a 25-7mm wsm a 25-338 ultra(shortend .1875) 25-284 257 stw 25-300 win and loved all of them. I only have one 25 these days a 26/06 wacker (.015 body taper one cal neck 36 deg shoulder) After all that it's just as good as the rest!
At least the rockchucks cant tell the deferance!!!!
P.s. To my amazement every thing my wife shoots with that old 30/06 dies on the spot. 165gr sierra game king 2700 fps.must be pure luck????

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Re: 25 cal cats
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
WM, I have been toying with the idea of selling or trading my 7mm wea. to my pal or his son, and building a fairly heavy 2506 IMP. I really like my std. .25-06 for coyotes and antelope, especially coyotes. Thought an improved version would be just the ticket. ;)

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:18:20 AM »
If you go with a ackly you can count on 100fps more vol. And as a bonuse all the ackly's I have messed with the accuracy inproves also.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
I`ve only had 2 .25 cals. in my life, but still have both. 1 is a .257 AI and the other a .25 cal. on the .221 Fire Ball case. The one on the Fire Ball case is what my wife used to grab for groundhogs aroung the house. She never missed a 1 she shot at with it, It wears a 4X Leupold scope.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »
I always thought it would be neat to make a 222 into a 257 caliber to fit in an AR or CZ 527 action.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »
 :) MC, I think John Wooters, from Tx., made one of these some years ago. He called it a .25 Copperhead. If I  remember right, he shot varmits, turkey, and Tx. whitetails with it. It was on a Sako action. He used some cast bullets also. ;)

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »
Thay all sound like fun to me. My next post all tell you haw I get severil wild cats out of one $40.00 rem take off bbl. so I can dicide witch one to realy work on.

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 02:56:18 PM »
WM, I was shooting my 25-06 this afternoon at rather long range, I have decided to stick pretty much with 100 grain for my future coyote hunting. What bullet did you find best for long shooting on coyotes with the 25 cal.???  ;)

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »
For a rifle with a 1-10 twist 100 or 115 b-tip. The good thing about these bullets is there thicker jackets dont blow in a cayote!

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »
For the guy that realy wonts to go long range you need to lonch big bullets as fast as possable!
Take the 308 for example shooting 165gr bullets at 800 yrds the bullet is at a 35 deg angle. Not much room for errer there.
but out of a 300 wm it is 20 deg. there a hell of alot more room there.
So I have always prefferd long bullets with big B.C.'s as fast as possable!!

Offline Brian in FL

• Classified -- Banned
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
Speaking of .25 caliber wildcats, Harry McGowen is currently building me a wildcat on a 336 Marlin. It is my .250 Banshee, which is the .25-35 Winchester case with the shoulder pushed forward to create a .264" neck. The cartridge has minimal body taper and a 40 degree shoulder angle. I can't wait for it to be finished so I can work up loads for it, mostly with the Hornady 117 grain round nose.

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
My wifes grangfather hunted 50 years with a 25-35 and killed evrything in sight with that old rifle. my fother inlaw owns it today and still hunts it.
Your new cat ought to be a deer killer GOOD LUCK! When you get it rockin give us a report!

Offline 41 magnum

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
I have a 257 AI and everything from chucks to elk drop dead! I don't need more........just practice at longer ranges to learn where they shoot
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS

Maker of trappers tools and gear, have an idea?  Let's talk !

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
My 25-06 AI helped take a mulie at 241 meters a couple of weeks ago. 100 gr. Barnes XCL (blue-coated) bullets exiting the muzzle at 3540 fps.
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »
Here is the Copperhead...

Offline Worriedman

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 01:13:27 AM »
I have a .25X.307 AI that I had a custom Encore barrel built for.  Like the rim for the break open. I used a heavy contour Noveski polygonal rifled barrel, chambered by Kim (censored word).  Deer and coyote killer extraordinar!

Offline boaman88

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:41:04 AM »
I recently heard that someone is working on a 25 using the Shooting Times Western case. That ought to be a barrel burner if there ever was one.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 07:16:42 AM »
 :o 88, I think Layne Simpson did develop a 257 wildcat on the STW case.  I am almost positive I read that somewhere... After 3  or 4 .257 Wea. and about that many .25-06's I will stick with the 06 case. I might spring for a improved model sometime, but The acc. is better for me with athe std. case, and I atleast, found it was far easier to load for than the Wea. I love mag. rifles, just not this one.....

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:40:40 AM »

cayote hunter is right. It is called the 257 stw I have hade one for about 10 - 11 years. mine is a rockchuck cayote rifle. It has a 28" hart hunter match bbl.
1-14 twist. It will launch 85gr b-tips 4100fps. It will shoot 100gr partitions 3945fps. With the 14 twist it will not shoot the bigger bullets so I cant give vol. for them but it is a rocket!!!

Offline wackmaster

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:13 AM »
P.S I have shot 1000-1200 rounds through it and it.It is wore out. Last year Ii cut 2" of and rechamber it to no aval its finneshed!!!!

Offline dud

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
i am building a 25-06 ai right now.any one care to share there data? pm me

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
Are any of you shooting .25 Souper? I have had dies for a long time but never got the gun I wanted to re barrel. I am going to post them on the reloading classifieds check them out and P.M. me if you need them.
Thanks Brent thejanitor

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
:) MC, I think John Wooters, from Tx., made one of these some years ago. He called it a .25 Copperhead. If I  remember right, he shot varmits, turkey, and Tx. whitetails with it. It was on a Sako action. He used some cast bullets also. ;)

Offline shot1

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 03:42:21 AM »
I love 25 cal also. My go to deer rifle is a custom Rem 700 Shilen barrel 25-06. You don't have to trail up a deer after you shoot it 99% of the time. And that 1% will not go over 50 yards at most. For deer I use the 117 gr Sierra pro hunter. I have a friend that has a 257 STW and the only bullet he could get to really stay together in flight is a Barns. He shoots the 100 gr tsx over bean fields for deer. They are never too far away to shoot with that thing. It is a laser. My hunting buddy has had a couple 25-06AI rifles. They were shooters.

Offline AWS

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »
I haven't visited the sight in awhile but thought I'd reserect this.
I built a 25 cal. wildcat on the 204 Ruger case that duplicates the ballistics of the 257 Kimber and the factory 250 Savage.  It is a straight neckup and no fireforming needed.  100gr Partitions at 2800fps, 85gr Ballistic Tips ant 3000fps and 75gr HP's at 3150fps.

It works well even on big deer.  Savage Model 11, PacNor 1-10 twist barrel, Weaver V-3 for this hunt.  It wears an Alpen Optics Apex XP 1.5x6x42 Ill. Dot now.

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »
Well after nearly 20 years with my standard version 25-06 on a Rem 700 action and barrel, I passed it on over to my daughter. I had plenty of good times and great shots with it and it is still one of the most accurate rifles I have had the pleasure to have owned.

Just before I passed the reins, I secured a donor 700 action from a new rifle I found on clearance. Then came the add on's. I ordered a Broughton 1-9" #4 Heavy Sporter barrel with a finished length of 28". The barreled action was bedded into a HS Precision M24 A1 stock.

I had planned on using some of the then available 125 and 130gr Wildcat Custom bullets, and had plenty to get a good start with until I found a load and could order more. Turns out however the company was sold, and the new owners really never got back into the game. Not really an issue as I had located a supply of Remington 120gr CL's and had a good quantity of the older Nosler 120gr Solid Bases on hand. In fire forming some cases I found the CL's shot amazingly well. After one evening of shooting I had carried some up to the house and the next morning on the way back down the hill to the range I managed to catch a nice 250  pond boar trotting across the pasture. I didn't have much time to do anything but chamber a round, aim and shoot. The bullet slammed him so hard I actually thought I missed. He was a fine hog and I hauled him up and did the in depth necropsy as I quartered him up for the freezer. To my great surprise the 120gr CL which had left the muzzle in the neighborhood of 3350fps had held together really well. It had driven through the onside 1"thick gristle plate, the shoulder blade, through the bottom of the spine, through the offside shoulder blade, and gristle plate coming to rest just under the hide.

I had actually figured on the bullet exploding just under the hide after blowing through the gristle plate. While there was tremendous damage to tissue indie the rib cage but nothing much more than a 1" or so diameter hole bored through the shoulder bladed. I was REALLY impressed to say the least. Since then I have concentrated a bit more on the loads and have them tweaked into easily shooting an average of 1.5" at 300yds and most times less. Stoked with a goodly load of Ramshot Magnum they leave out at the above 3350fps.

The best part however, was yet to come. In keeping with the loads I had been using with my standard version. I tried out a couple of the other bullets I had and worked them up to this same load. While I DO have to reset the seating die for the Wildcat's, the Nosler 120 is simply a load and shoot proposition. I was also happy to find that both the 125 and the 130gr Wildcat's rock right in there with the CL's on both accuracy and velocity. I managed to pick off a 30'ish pound shoat at 283yds with the 125 with an ear hole shot. The bad part was that his ear was quartering towards me so the exit was down through the middle of his back. The Wildcat with the J4Jackets don't hold together quite as well as the CL's do, which resulted in me only being able to salvage one shoulder, one ham and a partial back strap. I haven't managed to take anything just yet with the Nosler's but it is only a matter of time. I have put several dozen of the CL's to task on the hogs though and from 15yds to 300yd they seem to hit with equal authority and leave about the same controlled expansion wound channel that I found with the initial hog. 

So if the accuracy holds up in this one as it has in the other, and the supply of 120gr bullets I have holds out, I should be good till one of the grandson's takes this one over from me.

Also if your interested in a gander of the rifle, hogs, the recovered bullet or what not, look at the bottom of this page at this link.
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Hunting%202010/?start=all

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
...a Broughton 1-9" #4 Heavy Sporter barrel with a finished length of 28". The barreled action was bedded into a HS Precision M24 A1 stock. ...

What cartridge was it chambered in?   :-\   The 257 AI?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »

Sorry, bout that. I went with the 40 degree Ackley version of the 25-06. I had it cut with a no trim min dimension chamber and it is tight, but not to the point I have to trim necks tight. I am using Redding dies, and when sizing there is only a very slight resistance when I run any of them through. THe fellow who chambered it hsa plenty experience in building good rifles as he was into BR for quite a while and might still be, if he has the time.

While there were a couple I looked into, I love the .257 caliber, and well I have more than enough cases to use, as either a straight load and FF, or to neck down and FF.

Is it anything special, not to a LOT of folks, but it is what I wanted. A step up from my standard version, capable of launching the heavier bullets at a much better velocity, both with the added barrel and powder capacity. I am using one of the slower powders in it and not really pushing things to where I could if I wanted. With the same components I have worked up to what I consider a max load in this rifle, and what I am shooting is well below that. What I am gaining in performance has probably more to do with the extra 4" of barrel length and the slower powder, but sitting atop of a bi-pod, anything that walks out between 350yds and where ever I am sitting, and is bigger than a grape fruit, can be easily  be considered and active target. I really just built it to use on feral hogs, and yotes which like to cruise the back portion of our farm. With this rig, they got their free to roam zone easily cut in half. 

Offline tnekkc

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »

This is a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved Rimmed built on a Uberti clone of an 1885 Winchester falling block.
I built it in September 2012 and shot the deer in October 2012.
It is a Shilen stainless barrel.
I designed an elaborate scope mount / bipod mount to keep the barrel from flexing when I shot prone.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 02:08:35 AM »

Sorry, bout that. I went with the 40 degree Ackley version of the 25-06. I had it cut with a no trim min dimension chamber and it is tight, but not to the point I have to trim necks tight. I am using Redding dies, and when sizing there is only a very slight resistance when I run any of them through. THe fellow who chambered it hsa plenty experience in building good rifles as he was into BR for quite a while and might still be, if he has the time.

While there were a couple I looked into, I love the .257 caliber, and well I have more than enough cases to use, as either a straight load and FF, or to neck down and FF.

Is it anything special, not to a LOT of folks, but it is what I wanted. A step up from my standard version, capable of launching the heavier bullets at a much better velocity, both with the added barrel and powder capacity. I am using one of the slower powders in it and not really pushing things to where I could if I wanted. With the same components I have worked up to what I consider a max load in this rifle, and what I am shooting is well below that. What I am gaining in performance has probably more to do with the extra 4" of barrel length and the slower powder, but sitting atop of a bi-pod, anything that walks out between 350yds and where ever I am sitting, and is bigger than a grape fruit, can be easily  be considered and active target. I really just built it to use on feral hogs, and yotes which like to cruise the back portion of our farm. With this rig, they got their free to roam zone easily cut in half.

Sounds good!! I have a Sendero in 25-06AI that has served me well. I even have a bunch of those original 125 gr. Wildcat bullets.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.