Author Topic: "Drilled and Tapped for Scope"... or Picatinny?  (Read 640 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
"Drilled and Tapped for Scope"... or Picatinny?
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »
Hi All,
    While awaiting my Handi, I was watching the Gallery of Guns vid on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnFDoP_7ves

He seems to be pointing out 3 points of drilling and tapping... is that a Picatinny thing or will it accept the old "standard" rings.

Have to admit, it's been so long since I've been the rifle market, Picatinny seems "new" to me...

Hate the way they look. What advantages do they have?

Any recomendations on a reasonably priced scope that either supports range finding or BDC, mildot, etc.?   Scoped rifles have never been "my thing", so I'm afraid there's a lot I don't know about the current state of affairs.

But I'm thinking it may be useful to have something that allows for focusing. Some days my eyesight is quite clear... others, it's fuzzy... have to work with a computer a lot... I guess it's having an effect.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: "Drilled and Tapped for Scope"... or Picatinny?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:42:53 AM »
Some H&R bases are picatinny, all are weaver style except the ringmount base/ring combinations like Talley and DNZ, most all are shown in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:52:40 AM »
Howdy! Your new rifle should come drilled and tapped to accept a scope base to which you can attach standard scope rings. Weaver makes a nice scope base if yours doesn't come with one. You will need rings high enough to clear the hammer and a hammer extension to be able to cock the hammer with the scope installed.

I like the Tasco World Class line of scopes. They have several with mil-dot reticles and aren't expensive.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
I don't know about pick-a-henny, I usually just take the first chicken I catch.  ;D

Usually if a H&R says it has a scope rail it has a Weaver style w/o sights.  If it says it has open sights and drilled and tapped then it has no scope base at all.  Either way, as Quick pointed out, you can choose from several styles including picatinny.

As for scopes, I just got a Redfield Revolution with Accu-range recticle mounted on my 30-06 Handi.  IIRC it was less than $300 tax and shipping included.  It basically has a circle around the center of the cross hairs so you have three elevation and three windage hold points.  It will also tell you distance based on size of game compared to size of the circle.  I have not had much practice with it yet but I am looking forward to trying it out.

BW

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »
I don't know about pick-a-henny, I usually just take the first chicken I catch.  ;D

Usually if a H&R says it has a scope rail it has a Weaver style w/o sights.  If it says it has open sights and drilled and tapped then it has no scope base at all.  Either way, as Quick pointed out, you can choose from several styles including picatinny.

As for scopes, I just got a Redfield Revolution with Accu-range recticle mounted on my 30-06 Handi.  IIRC it was less than $300 tax and shipping included.  It basically has a circle around the center of the cross hairs so you have three elevation and three windage hold points.  It will also tell you distance based on size of game compared to size of the circle.  I have not had much practice with it yet but I am looking forward to trying it out.

BW

Perhaps this is something I don't understand about scoping rifles then? 

Here's a pic of a Savage 116 I think... No rail, obviously it's a bolt gun... so are the "vertical standoffs" considered "Weaver Bases"... and then the rings attach to those?

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_291534_999_01?hei=220&wid=380

(control key + key together can enlarge it... control and 0 will fix your display after)

I've never owned a scoped rifle, so this is a new topic for me. All but two of the rifles I've ever owned were milsurps and weren't really easily scoped. The other 2 were .22 LR and same story. One was a top eject pump (think Winchester 62) and the other was a sort of falling block (Stevens 26).

Have always been mainly a handgun sort.

The idea I was chasing after was something like what you see on the 116, but perhaps sight through or tip off,  if they even still make those.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
I can't get a good look at the bases but it is likely they are.  Bolt-actions have to have two pieces, one for the front and one for the back, or one piece with a cut out to keep the action area open so spent shells can exit.  The Handi rifle does not need this as the action is behind the scope mounting location.  There are several different ways to mount scopes but all depend on the application.  Some rifles such as Ruger and CZ have integral scope mounts that use proprietary rings included with the rifle.  Some .22 rifles have grooves on top of the receiver to accept rings. 

Handi rifles have two standard type of mounts, the Weaver style which can accept "tip-off" style mounts, and one piece mounts like the DNZ Quick mentioned, where the mount and bottom of the rings are one piece mounted straight to the barrel, then you put the scope on and add the top of the rings and clamp it on.

Sorry bout the long post, if I can get some pictures I'll post them.:)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:35:02 AM »
Nobody I have ever talked to who tried a 'see thru' liked it (and I have shot one myself just to know). They necessarily get the scope too high for proper use and your cheek off the stock. Many of us use a rail (the first piece that screws on top of the barrel) and rings (they clamp onto the rail and the scope fits into them) combination that clears the hammer, when in the fired position, by about 1/8th to 1/4".
The rails come predrilled for the screw spacing already on the rifle when bought (go to a big-box sporting goods store to look over their scope mounting products to get a sense of this) for a particular rifle and should include the proper screws.
Oh, and be advised that the rings now are mostly for 1" scope tubes, but some 30mm are also available (and they are NOT interchangeable).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974