Author Topic: Case Trimming, Chamfering, & Deburring before Sizing?  (Read 784 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Case Trimming, Chamfering, & Deburring before Sizing?
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »
Just wondering if anybody here does any case trimming, chamfering, and deburring before you full length size.  I am getting ready to load for my .40 S&W and I have a bunch of once fired brass.  My thinking was I could do all the trimming, chamfering, and deburring before running them through my turret press. 

I've thought about doing this with my 5.56/.223 also, I just haven't had the time to measure everything out and actually run the test.  I think if this is do-able, this would be a great time saver for me.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Case Trimming, Chamfering, & Deburring before Sizing?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »
Jason

Theres no reason to trim & chamfer 40 S&W case's , they just don't grow that much and you bell the case mouth to seat the bullet . As for the 223's do it after you FL size , depending on the brass it will grow at different amounts and stretch differently with the pull of the expander ball .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
What stimpy said - I agree on all counts.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
                                        ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
                                what they said
won't do you any good to trim or champher any case before you
resize because the resizing operation is what alters the dimension
of the case after being pushed around at high pressure in the
firearm's chamber.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
   I always did all of that before sizing. Just seemed a lot easier to me. Not sure if that is the proper way but it worked for me.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:47 AM »
I havent trimmed a single pistol brass in the last 20 years. As to rifles, in hunting calibers i keep a watch on them and trim when needed. 223 and 308 going in black guns are trimmed every loading. They tend to grow faster and also its worth the extra step to me to insure reliability
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:38:25 AM »
Ditto all above...with exceptions.

I chamfer 223 cases before FLS.  After that, and removing Mil brass primer pocket crimps, owing to the fact that I put the effort into them, I am a "Spent Brass Hound" at my range.  I have set and locked down the Progressive Press dies and observe bullet seating and crimping on every bullet produced.  For jacketed bullets with cannelure, as in Midsouth's 55 grain Varmint Nightmare, if any round is noted to exceed the visual inspection upon departing the crimp stage, i.e. crimp above groove, that bullet is pulled for firing in the Handi-rifle and not the AR.  So far, case "growth" and culling to the Handi- has been insignificant.

Recommendations: 
1.)  Used cases are always cheaper than new - and a lot of times by a factor of 4 cheaper than new.
2.)  Purchase a lot more than "just enough" cases for your shooting regime.   This will significantly reduce the mean-time-to-failure* of a case.
3.)  Always use the "old stock" of cases, sized, primed (maybe too), and awaiting reloading, before recycling into the "just fired" stock.
4.)  Clean the brass before resizing or priming.
5.)  Used Mil brass can be modified for reloading.  You just have to work at it more, making those cases "special" and not to be left at the range for others.

*Failure is measured in case length "growth" as well as split necks.  I have never had a case head separation.  That puts me in the category of "when" it will happen versus it will "never" happen.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »
For the most part I agree as well...

Straight walled (Nearly straight) handgun cases seldom need trimming as Stimpy first mentioned. Bottle necked cases sure do again as Stimpy already said, mostly because of the expander ball. Good lubes or fancy dies minimize this.

Something I do that many don't is to clean the primer pockets. I use a cutter to re-cut the pocket to truer spec for this task and I also use a power screw driver as the ''muscle''.  On rifle cases, I also de-burr the flash holes.

On mil cases I use a Dillion swaging tool to re form the primer pockets first.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
I got away from case stretching caused by the sizer die expander button by removing the sizer button and then expanding the neck using a Lyman M die. This adds a step in the loading process but eliminates stretching by expander ball.

Some few years ago, using one of those electronic micrometers that read to four decimal places (and microns in metric mode) I conducted a test using ten new 9mm cases. Numbered the cases. Measured the length of each and recorded that. Then loaded and fired them. Measured again, twice, before and after resizing. Went through this routine ten times with all ten pieces of brass. Found that the brass grows a bit during sizing and shrinks a bit during firing. The end result was no significant dimension changes after being fired ten times. End result, I quit wasting time worrying about stretching straight walled pistol brass. Nowadays, once in awhile when I think about it I'll measure a half dozen rounds and so far have found none out of spec.

I also reload for a .357 Sig and following the routine in the first paragraph above I have no problems with brass getting too long or too short.

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »
I use powdered graphite inside the mouth of bottleneck brass. It lessens drag on the expander ball.
After lubing with Imperial sizing wax, I dip the mouth of the case in about 1/8" of graphite. I then tap the excess off and run it through the die. The less drag translates into less stretch.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »
 never have trimmed a pistol case i don't clean the primer pockets i shoot resizer and load.
Rifle I NS if it's my brass, FL for other then trim and use a RCBS case mate for the rest.
If you FL size first then trim you will get 1 or 2 extra firings between reloads.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.