Author Topic: Barrel Fitting  (Read 929 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Barrel Fitting
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
  Well today I finally read the complete barrel fitting instructions and I read them thoroughly this time. ::) It seems the one thing I had missed in the past was annealing the feeler gauge that I plan to use as the shim. This did two things for me. First it burnt the plating off the piece allowing better adhesion and it also allowed the steel to bend to the curve of the pivot point. In the past, I couldn't get my shim to stick and it would not conform to the curve.
  I trimmed the shim to the needed size, roughed it up and now I'm waiting on my SuperWeld to be delivered from Tool King. The barrel pivot point has release agent in the places I don't wanted glued and everything else has been prepped with alcohol. I also have a c-clamp and .375" dowel standing by. Let's see what else I learn from reading. ;)
  The last 2 weeks of leave allowed me to work on some projects, hunt, and play with the kids. Tomorrow I go back to playing Army again.... :-\

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
Re: Barrel Fitting
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Hey Dinny... yeah annealing is essential with feeler gauge shims... the two problems that I have had the most are; adhesion and over build-up. To cure the adhesion, be sure to make two or three parallel passes on the lug pivot channel with a non-tapered file to get to clean metal and a perpendicular surface. For the "over build-up," go down just a "smidge on your feeler gauge size or make 2-3 extra passes on the file ... the weld does increase the thickness of the shim process... and it is a "bugger" to get it off again and start over. What I do now for slight sloppiness, is to make two passes with a cylindrical file and just paint on some JB Weld... allow it to cure for two full days and then file it down in tiny increments while trying the fit until it fits snuggly... this is not a permanent fix, but it lasts an amazingly long time (I have 200 hot loads through a 7mm-08 done this way and no sloppiness yet)... the beauty of just using JB is the ease of a follow up fix... I have noticed no shift in POI with the 3-4 guns with JB'd lugs... if there is a lot of play, then a feeler shim is the way to go.     
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 02:54:43 AM »
I used only JB on my 45LC Handi. It's working well, but this newest barrel is a 30-06 and I don't want to chance it. Thanks for the other pointers.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:36:03 AM »
I'm waiting on my SuperWeld to be delivered from Tool King.

Hey Din!

+1 on what hoytcannon said 'cept I won't take a file to the underlug!   ;)   I have enough spare receivers to find one with a little slop vs one that is too tight.  Come to think on it, I never have had one too tight!   :-\

I do rough it up a bit w/sandpaper though.   ;D

Now, that "superweld," is that the stuff Tim said was so much stronger then JB?  I looked for the stuff Tim recommended every time I went to a hardware store but never could find any.  I finally gave up and am still using JB.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:17 AM »
AH HA!!!  I have been looking for love in all the wrong places!   ;D

Going by the name, do you think they carry it in automotive supply stores?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:53:52 AM »
I haven't been in an auto supply store for a loooong time, but I have seen it in hardware stores, anywhere that sells GOOP might have it, same mfr.

Tim

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »
FWIW, Ive used 'pop can alum. shims' to get the lock up I want and fire some to really seat thing in to be sure of the fitting. These are NOT epoxied on, just rolled in place, but a tiny dab of Super Glue might help you if having trouble making it stay. Once you know the size of the shim that works (ie, measure up you have made there) you can go to picking your feeler ga. to anneal and epoxy in. Ive used Loctite liquid on the cleaned surfaces, a 'slug' to hold into the curve and a rubber band with success.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
maybee I am just lucky but I have had good results with just having the feeler guage piece cut to size slight bend and lay it on the lug. put the receiver on snap it close and forget it. Accuracy has bee good and havent had any issues with it. I leave these barrel receivers alone and not as switch barrels. Maybee I have just been lucky.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
Going by the name, do you think they carry it in automotive supply stores?   ???

I haven't seen any in a store. I ordered mine through Tool King. The local hardware stores all carry Goop products but the closest I have seen is Goop Automotive Adhesive. It doesn't come close to being strong enough. :-\

http://www.toolking.com/amazing-goop-eclectic-5350031-4-oz-super-weld-epoxy-paste?CAWELAID=1410610341

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
Make sure you check the mfr/use by date if it has one on the Superweld since it has been discontinued, I tried to use mine a year or so ago for something and it was no longer good, had dried out too much to mix even tho it was sealed good, possibly because it had been opened too many times and not much is used each time, I'd look for the new labeling to insure a good shelf life. I've been silver soldering shims for at least a couple years now, so haven't used epoxy.

Tim

Here's an Ebayer selling it for $10.60 w/free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goop-Paste-Automotive-Epoxy-/110562597392

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
Tim,
  I wish I would have found that when I was doing my search. I paid over $25 including shipping. :(

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
May not have been available then, but I didn't see it when I searched for Superweld either, only when I looked for Goop Automotive Epoxy. I changed the info in the FAQs sometime in the past, don't remember when  :-[, last edit was in January tho.

Tim