Author Topic: Millet scope rings for a handi  (Read 611 times)

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
Millet scope rings for a handi
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
need some 1" rings for the new 45-70 handi ultra 45-70, was considering Millet but unsure of the height to order.  i'd want the scope to be as low as possible yet still clear the hammer and spur. 

what scope rings are ya using with yer handi?
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Millet scope rings for a handi
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
That will change with different scopes. What brand and model scope do you have to mount?

With a handi friendly scope, lo rings are entirely useable.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »
relatively cheap tasco 6-24x40 ...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
I should have asked before... Are you mounting to a factory base or a Weaver? Different bases are different heights.

Millett rings stand tall I would say Lo would work. Otherwise medium to be safe. Millett rings Are of good quality, but there design makes for a troublesome mounting and a good possibility to kink a scope tube. I have used them when I needed some extra windage.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
it's the supplied factory base.  i'm surely open to other ring suggestions, if you don't mind sharing.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
Burriss ZEE rings are top shelf steel rings.

I have  been using Leupold PRW rings for many years but cannot recomend them to any big recoiling calibers.

Waren also makes a fine durable ring.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
i just checked out the burris zee - nice.  i'd like to get a set, but low or medium or high?

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
I use DNZ Gamereapers or Dura Sight Z2 QD rings... the Z2 alloy is excellent, stronger than aluminum, lighter than steel... I have a couple dozen sets on rifles and have never had a problem... and best of all they are not expensive... you won't believe the quality for the price. Get the medium height.

http://www.durasight.com/Store-View.php?id=222

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
good scoop, hoyt - ordered! :)

Offline MTNRGR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
Be carefull when mounting with Millets. I made a rookie mistake and kinked my scope. It was the first time using Millets and didn't realize they were windage adjustible, overtightened one side of the rear, looked at the scope when I was done and the front was a good 1/4 inch off center to the left side of the barrel.
-Jason
-Jason

"All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us this wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream".                      Thomas K. Whipple

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »
Be carefull when mounting with Millets. I made a rookie mistake and kinked my scope. It was the first time using Millets and didn't realize they were windage adjustible, overtightened one side of the rear, looked at the scope when I was done and the front was a good 1/4 inch off center to the left side of the barrel.
-Jason

thanx for the tip but i ordered the dura sight instead.