Author Topic: Weaver style bases, whats with the different slot size?????????  (Read 432 times)

Offline canadaman30

• Trade Count: (0)
Was out today for rings and bases, the base I usually buy (Leupold Rifleman one piece) were out of stock, so I was sold a Weaver extended multislot (picatinny style) base. Once home I noticed the cross slots in the Weaver base are a little wider than the Leupold base. The rings I'm using are Leupold PRW, when I loosen the rings off and put them in a base slot there is a lot of play, as the cross slot lug on the ring is alot smaller than the base slot. Yes there is a little play with the Leupold base but, alot less. Why are the slot sizes on the bases different, and will it make any difference once the rings are tightened down to the base. One other question, does anyone use adhesive on any thing else besides the base screws when scope mounting. thanks for any help.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Weaver style bases, whats with the different slot size?????????
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
There is no standard for slot size and spacing for Weaver bases, and are often custom to a particular application. Picatinny rails on the other hand have a specified slot size and spacing.  See http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10724/GunTechdetail/Picatinny-Rails-Weaver-Rails-What-s-The-Difference-

The play shouldn't matter once things are tightened down, just make sure the cross slot lug is tight against the front of the slot.

As to adhesive, I don't use anything on my scope ring screws or base screws for that matter, though I know some that use blue loctite on base screws, never heard of anyone using any on the ring screws.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Weaver style bases, whats with the different slot size?????????
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »
Exactly as said above.  Picatinny is is good.  You can switch to a red dot because you have more mounting options.  If it is a 10/22, be careful torquing the mount screws because the receiver is aluminum.  If the mount needs to be really secure and not easily removable you can use Loctite Red or Epoxy.  That thing on the left has red and after a few hundred rounds it hasn't moved. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.