Author Topic: Handi hog hunt - 357 max question...  (Read 1489 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Handi hog hunt - 357 max question...
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:16:57 AM »
I am going to be returning to TX for a ferral pig hunt and want to know from those of you who have shot hogs with the  .357 max do you feel it was an ok round ( I would use a 180 gr bullet) I want to bring a couple handis and this one I thought several of you had used on hogs. And I would appreciate a caliber report as for how it worked for you.   Thanks thejanitor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Handi hog hunt - 357 max question...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »
The maxi is just fine for hogs!!!

Choose a Hornady XTP or SSP, get that moving 1700 fps+ and limit your shots to 125 yards and as long as you do your part, you will bring him the bacon. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
the most important question to you is...........will you be elevated above, or at grade level ??
that is the ultimate decision maker when choosen your firearm for a hawg hunt.
several here mite squabble bout that, but really....they ain't had one them sow's brush against there
shin while wonder'n where inthahell she went after take'n bout 25% of her brain out !!!!  big hole shooters are one thing, percision shots
 i rule on. thatsa why they call this place down heah..... HAWG-HELL !!!!
you needta be ina tree..................... :o

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
Haven't shot a hog with mine.  But.........I think I would use the speer 180gr or one of my 21bhn ranchdog cast, just to make sure I'm punchin a good hole.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Gendoc asks the key question. Most ferral hogs - real ones, (not trapped and brought to a fenced enclosure!) are under 150 lbs and more still under 100 lbs. They aren't hard to kill....but they can take time figuring out they're dead! From a blind or a tree, go ahead and use a single shot from. 223 up, whatever you fancy. A good neck or ear shot and the hog is dead. But if you're walking up, I strongly counsel a repeater. They'll lie in a hollow, appear from nowhere six feet in front of you and charge. I shot a kamikaze piglet (45 lbs) in December with a 200 gr TSX 8mm 10' out and took a piece of head, some gray matter and a chunk of neck out of him and he still went six feet past me before he dropped dead. Same hunt, next fellow down the beating line was charged from 6 -8' by 130 lbs tusker, he just had time to get his rifle up and put a round literally right between the eyes on contact. That pig's brains came out its rectum, but momentum carried him into the shooter and cut his leg up through Carhart jeans for 10 stitches. Henceforth, walking up, I will carry a 12 ga semi with Brenekke slugs. All walking up shots I have ever had were under 50 yards.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
If it's south Texas, then you already know to hunt around any feeder that doesn't have a hog/cattle fence around it. I've seen some big ones down there. Real big. But most are easy to get to because you know where they will be when the feeder goes off. I used a bow. Anything that will work for deer should work for hogs. Pigs rule almost any feeder that isn't fenced. Javelinas are next. Then the deer. Getting off the ground isn't a bad idea. The further south you go, the fewer trees. Tripods work well. Always amazed me how you could sit in a tower blind or tripod and the deer would nearly eat out of your hand, seriously, but the minute you got on the ground, they wanted nothing to do with you.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »
The Maxi has accounted for truck loads of hogs here in OK. Use the heaviest, most well constructed bullet that shoots best in your rifle. If you're using a 180gr bullet and AA1680, W296, or Lil' Gun I would be willing to bet you're probably pushing close to or over 2000fps.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
Texas hogs.  Compliments of jeepmann1948

Dinny, I'm running the 180 XTP and the SSP at 2150 over Lil' Gun.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:31 AM »
Thanks every one! Last time we were there we got 5 and the biggest were 80 ish pounds. Each of us will also have a revolver for close in work. Looking fwd to getting back down there. 
After thought- by the way both kids are not bringing Handis at all... They wanted  levers and bolts.
I think one shot may be all I get anyway besides possible revolver work when the smoke clears.
 Thanks  thejanitor

Offline mo_bio

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 02:45:10 AM »
The maxi does just fine on all size hogs from 20 to 400 lbs. Shot placement is key but they sure seem to not notice being hit, with anything... I took the side off a sows head with the 500 S&W and she still did a death run of about 30 yards.  She was dead while running and still madder than hell.  I agree about being in a tree with a single shot.  I have taken out my daughters shorty maxi for hog killin' at work and it does a fine job. 190 grain ranch dogs water quenched. Last time I shot from the ground I did it from behind a big ole cypress. Just to be safe. ;)
Handis: .17 mach2 (x2), .22 lr, 22 hornet, .22 jet, .223, .243, .270, .280, .357 max (x2), 35 remington, 35 whelen, 45-70, 445sm, 30-30, 410, 500 S&W, 50 AK

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if
necessary."-- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Offline kingj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:13:46 AM »
I used a SSP 180 with 25 gr of R7 shattered spinal column at the neck.The bullet totally disentragrated,would use a Speer 180 in the future.Shot was at 50 yards.
Character 24 hours a day 7 days a week !

Life Member NRA
.357 Handi
.35 Handi

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 04:13:36 AM »
I used a SSP 180 with 25 gr of R7 shattered spinal column at the neck.The bullet totally disentragrated,would use a Speer 180 in the future.Shot was at 50 yards.

Same exact thing has happened to me!  As much as I like shooting bones, I try to avoid the spine on close shots for exactly this reason.

YES the Speer is a tougher bullet.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »
My 357 magnum works just fine so the 357 max should be even better.   ;)
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »
I really like my Maxi with the 180 SSPB for deer.  For hogs I would pick up a box of the Hornady 200 gr Interlocks and load them up see if they shoot or not.

Offline Saga01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
  The hog with the Mini-14 on it is one my brother shot on a hog hunt west of San Antonio.  It weighed right around 220 lbs.  That's also his hog on the right side of the pickup bed.  I'd use a repeater if I was on the ground.

Mike

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
  The hog with the Mini-14 on it is one my brother shot on a hog hunt west of San Antonio.  It weighed right around 220 lbs.  That's also his hog on the right side of the pickup bed.  I'd use a repeater if I was on the ground.

Mike

What's the story on the elephant?

Offline Saga01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 12:23:38 AM »
I know that they didn't have any luck with blinds so they walked these up.  The guide and ranch owner estimated the big ones weight at over 700.  I guess it took all 8 hunters present to get it into the truck.  It was killed with a 243 to the head.  My brother took his with 3 223 rounds to the body.

Mike

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
Anybody notice the  Texas Hogs in the Picture were both shot with small caliber rifles? Guess them porkers didn't know they was dead and was just playing possum for the photo op.
 The old timers sage advice is still paramount:
 "it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "
George
  it's where you hit em "

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 03:03:05 AM »
I have zero experience with hogs... we ain't got none up here... but I have plenty of experience with bears... and I have had more than a few of my hunters use a .357 Maggie on blackies with lethal results... So I would think that your Maxi would be plenty on porkers.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 05:26:42 AM »
I've not shot a hog, got all tuned up to go once and the trip failed to happen, but from my research, what George said.  ;)

Tim

The heart, lung, and spinal cord anatomy of the feral hog is widely misunderstood.
This article deals with the anatomy of the wild boar. GRAPHIC PHOTOS are used to illustrate the location of the heart, lungs, and spinal cord so hunters can better understand the proper KILL ZONE area.

It is widely understood or rather miss understood that a wild boar is some sort of super armored beast that is almost impossible to kill. Amazing campfire stories are told and repeated of how well placed shots on the beast fail to bring them down. It's not that the animals are so tough, rather, the kill zone is so small!
YEAH YEAH YATTA YATTA,, I know about the ARMOR PLATE,, GET OVER IT,, it aint bullet proof! The so-called ARMOR SHIELD is tough and it can be thick, but despite the ol-wives-tails it is easily penetrated by both bullet and proper broad-head. A .22 Rimfire will consistently penetrate through a 2 inch thick shield of a wild boar. I tested it OVER AND OVER AND OVER,, SO,, all those stories of bullets bouncing off a hog is just bunk. I have killed many large boar with small .224 caliber through the shoulder area,, although I DO NOT recommend the average hunter try it!!

I have seen artistic drawings of HOG ANATOMY and not once have they been correct. At best they were terribly misleading.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

http://www.texasboars.com/hunting/huntingtips.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »
I shot and killed a hog today with my .243 loaded with the 58gr Hornady Superformance V-Max. I was walking to another coyote stand when I jumped two of them up on the opposite creek bank. Once shot, the hog fell down the steep bank right into the creek. He kicked for a few seconds and disappeared. I came back about 30 mins later and ended up wading through the creek. Looked around for 30 mins in cooooold water before I gave up. He probably washed downstream and got hooked up some underwater snags. The farmer is real happy that I shot one, but I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get to BBQ a wild hog. The trigger broke when my crosshairs were floating right behind it's ear in the upper neck.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »
Sorry to read that Dinny, from your description sounds like it was just a flesh wound if it was very far back, the spine drops way down there.

Tim

http://www.texasboars.com/graphics/anatomy/hartlung.jpg

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
Maybe so, but the hog died from a GSW not from drowning. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »
I am not hog hunter extraordinaire. But based on my experience I want to clarify what George and Tim said. Neck and ear shots with appropriate small caliber bullets will kill pigs. But they may not know they're dead for a while. From a blind or raised position, use any caliber you want. But the area in which a smaller caliber will certainly kill and do so quickly is pretty small; midway between upper front shoulder right up to earhole. A heart and lung shot - lower and closer to the elbow broadside very hard to hit head on - will give a hog 5 - 8 seconds of run. Failure to hit these vital areas will result in a pissed off pig that may or may not bleed out several hours later but will be a fighter right up until it does. I have seen several hogs with snouts or lower jaws blown completey off trotting away at speed or charging a beating line. If you are ground hunting hogs, they will get up from nowhere 8 - 10' in front of you. You will not believe that you didn't see it until then. And some will charge you. And I do not want a single shot or small caliber rifle at that point (unless you have fixed bayonette - in which case you are a serious wild man and should ignore my advice). 130 lbs at 15 mph with 1.5" tusks will ruin your day before it stops moving. They are not armor plated. They are mean. They are smart. And they are tough. Be careful of hogs on the ground.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »
They are not armor plated. They are mean. They are smart. And they are tough. Be careful of hogs on the ground.

Single shots work just fine... Maybe I'm a lil crazy, but a H&R shorty did these two in. ;) Two shots, 400+ pounds of meanness at my feet.  ::)

Brain shots work just fine too...Shoot ém in the noodle!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
 Dinny and I had a very enjoyable conversation shortly after his hog hunt and after his hog fishing experience.
 From his first conversation I can assure the hog was DEAD when it slid down the bank.From his chattering teeth noises I can tell you that a Valiant and through search was preformed is some really cold water. By his own admission he was "up to the nipples" in very cold water looking for pork (past tense of pig) . He is one tuff hombre.
 I forgot to ask him if the snow had completely melted but i will bet that creek was running fast and COLD!
 From actual past experience I can tell you when a critter of any size is hit in the head followed by a cloud of red mist it is dead, unfortunately gravity and swift running water ruined a great photo op.
I guess his score is Hog Hunt 1
                          Hog Fishing 0
Looking forward to Chapter 2
Thanks for sharing Amigo
George

it's where you hit em "

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »
The last time I got to go I took my Handi 45-70 with some hard cast lead.  I backed it up with a 357 revolver, which never was fired.  I didn't track any hogs.  I shot one straight on facing and ruined a ham when it exited.

It the 357 max with hard cast won't kill 'em, then all the ones my grand dad shot with a 22 lr ain't dead.... :o ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
Dinny and I had a very enjoyable conversation shortly after his hog hunt and after his hog fishing experience.
 From his first conversation I can assure the hog was DEAD when it slid down the bank.From his chattering teeth noises I can tell you that a Valiant and through search was preformed is some really cold water. By his own admission he was "up to the nipples" in very cold water looking for pork (past tense of pig) . He is one tuff hombre.
 I forgot to ask him if the snow had completely melted but i will bet that creek was running fast and COLD!
 From actual past experience I can tell you when a critter of any size is hit in the head followed by a cloud of red mist it is dead, unfortunately gravity and swift running water ruined a great photo op.
I guess his score is Hog Hunt 1
                          Hog Fishing 0
Looking forward to Chapter 2
Thanks for sharing Amigo
George

George,
  My teeth just stopped chattering about an hour ago. ;D

I kinda wish I had a maxi today. The banks were steep but I would have selected a different aim point. That may have led to a hog running a few yrds in the other direction before expiring.

Next time...

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
We will be hunting the same ranch we hunted before and last trip I used the 45-70 and my son used his .270.  I HAVE to use a handi or I cant post my pic here after the trip... The kids will probably put more in the freezer than me but This will be the first trip with both kids and maybe the last since they are growing to the point of jobs getting in the way of scheduling. My daughter said today she is using her .270 bolt and 30-30 lever for the trip, My Son is using his .223 semi auto and .270 bolt I am still up in the air on which Handis but may take the nice wood off the 38-55 and go synthetic for the trip and also grab the max. These two would make a big hole and neither have put anything in the freezer for me yet so they need to get some TX miles put on them.
Its still a month off but once we get back I will try to find this thread and post either a report of the kids experiences with their guns or my Handi pics and a story worthy of the forum.... ( I may need sourdough to write it for me) hopefully no Dr. reports but if it adds to the story....  Sorry just kidding.  We will be careful- my daughters boy friend has been concerned checking to make sure I am not putting her in harms way. So we will make sure to be as safe as possible and not take too many risks. Would say no risks but that is not realistic.
Thank you all for the input I hope to share good news when we get back.  thejanitor