Author Topic: Hussein's new EPA chief  (Read 223 times)

Offline two-blocked

• Trade Count: (0)
Hussein's new EPA chief
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:34:50 AM »
Obama to name EPA official Gina McCarthy to head agency

McCarthy helped usher through many of the EPA’s most contentious rules during Obama’s first term, including regulations curbing mercury and soot emissions from power plants. But she has also cultivated a strong working relationship with members of the business community, dampening much of the opposition her selection might otherwise have encountered.
 “I know greenhouse gases are important, but I’m committed to strengthening public health protections,” she told them.

It was an early indication of how the politically savvy McCarthy was prepared to get her way in Washington. A veteran of Republican administrations in Massachusetts and Connecticut, she has devoted much of the past four years to shepherding through air regulations that have protected public health — but that also have helped shutter power plants emitting greenhouse gases linked to climate change.

“She’s very data- and fact-driven, and that’s been helpful for us as well as the entire business community,” said Donna Harman, president and chief executive of the American Forest and Paper Association. “It doesn’t mean I always got what I was looking for, but we can have a dialogue.”

Many environmentalists, for their part, see her ability to broker deals with potential opponents as an asset. “What she’s tough about is the science-based standard,” said Kevin Knobloch, president of the Union of Concerned Scientists. “She’s very pragmatic about how you get there.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/obama-to-name-epa-official-gina-mccarthy-to-head-agency-sources-say/2013/03/04/7f7c92bc-7975-11e2-9a75-dab0201670da_story.html

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hussein's new EPA chief
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:47:59 AM »
She's got a good barber.   :P
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.