Author Topic: finally get to range with .44 Rem Mag MGM barrel.....  (Read 587 times)

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
finally get to range with .44 Rem Mag MGM barrel.....
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
It was a beautiful day to take off work yesterday [Friday 8th] and get a few rounds thru the new MGM barrel. I purchased it here on the Contender Classifieds as an unfired MGM 11.5" long special order 'fast twist', a 1:10" twist rate....pretty snappy for fat .43" bullets. I mounted a 2x-6x scope and shot it at 25 yards...mostly one hole groups with no bullets coming apart. I only shot factory 240s in Remington [240 JHP] and a few Hornady Frontier [don't know where it found me] and Winchester white box 240 JSP. A few rounds left the cases just a tad 'sticky' to extract and I would beleive that could be extra pressure generated by the 10" twist.
I will have some nicely cast Keith 250 SWC's loaded over 2400 powder on the next trip...might be interesting in how the fast twist handles the lead bullets!.
I also shot a Ruger Redhawk Hunter with a 2X scope along side the G2. Nice to NOT have a cylinder gap FLASH when shooting the Contender! I believe the solid barrel Contender would go with me to the deer woods just because of that alone, not to mention it's one hold accuracy.
Now to try it on the 100 yard target board.
FYI: looks to be zero jacket fouling in the MGM barrel.