Author Topic: My new (to me) "back up" rifle  (Read 809 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
My new (to me) "back up" rifle
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
I always kept a back up rifle to bring along on hunting trips.  For the longest time it's been an old model Rem M7 in 7/08, stoked with the now discontinued Nosler 160 gr. Flat base.  It was also the only rifle I owned with a synthetic stock.

But, with the ever growing proliferation of Handi rifles of various calibers in my safe, the M7 has not seen any use in years!  Now it seems it's role as a backup has been usurped by yet another Handi Rifle!   :o

It all started with my trying to figure out what to do with the five extra receivers I have. Actually, I think it was 3 at the time...  :-\  Anyway, I decided I needed a 30-06 barrel because... uh,... well,...  BECAUSE!   ::)

So I started watching the classifieds and soon my buddy Pete put an '06 barrel up for sale.  I got it and fit a receiver and a plastic stock set to it.  Done!  Well, not really...  :-\

The barrel was stainless and the blued receiver just didn't look right... So I started watching the classifieds!  Soon that good ol' Jawja Boy cjrjck came to my rescue with a nickled receiver!

The receiver fit fine from the get-go so I am Done!  Well, not really...  ::)

I was showing the rifle to a hunting buddy this weekend and mentioned I was going to put the M7's old Leupold 2x7 on it.  So he up and says a brushed nickle scope would look better...  As soon as he said that I knew he was right!

I tell ya boys, it never ends!!   :'(   I'm even thinking of sand blasting a mount to get it to match!   ::)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: My new (to me) "back up" rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:02 AM »
Richard, I'm glad yer puttin that '06 barrel to work, but yer old Daisy Red Ryder'll work fine on them Jawja swamp bucks.  Y'all bring it up heya and shoot a real buck.   Just spoofin' ya Richard.  I know you've got some nice deer that Sherman somehow must've missed.

Seriously, Richard, I sold it because I'm a family man.....the .308 family.  It sounds really nice, please post a pic when you get the scope finished.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:59:25 AM »
Will do Pete!   ;D   Soon's I find a scope...  :-\   Oh crud!   :o   I forgot about the rings...   :'(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »
I went with the color contrast on my SS UH 45-70. The old blued El Paso Weaver 2.5 c/w dbl lined reticule looks good on it with 'mat silver' steel rings on the black rail, then the blue-black sling swivels and the black recoil pad on the Cin. Lam. stock add the accent touches. I tried the black barrel-band (clamp-on not sleeve type) front swivel mount for a short while for that 'Express Rifle' look, but do really prefer the forearm stud. It looked good though.
All silvery is just too monochromatic to me, guess I gotta have some Ying with my Yang.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
It is easy to get sucked into "yet" another project... I am making a maple mannlicher stock for my Whelen and then came to the conclusion that it would make an awesome two barrel set matched with a .280... but I sold my .280 (what was I thinking)... so now I am on the hunt for another .280... the forearms are already made for both... I'll cut the .280 barrel channel when I find the barrel, so I can custom fit it.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
Ya got at least another step or two to make Richard, last I checked H&R had gray lams in stock!  ;D

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
Tim, Now I think you are just Teasing him!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Who, meeeee??  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »
NOW CUT THAT OUT TIM!!!   >:(

You know how susceptible I am to suggestion!   :'(

;D ;D ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
 8)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
I guess I shouldnt mention that my back-up rifle is a Siamese Mauser 45-70 sporter..........you know, for when the goin' gets rough and ya just gotta have a stopper  :o .
I wouldnt want it said I pushed ya toward lust  :-X .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »
My main carrying rifle for summer is a Handi Ultra Comp, in 30-06.  My back-up is a standard handi in 30-06.  During the winter I carry two rifles now.  25-06 Savage with a 25-06 Handi as back up.  Then a .223 Contender Carbine, with the .223 Ultra as back-up.

Well actually the Contender and the Ultra switch back and forth.  While riding the snow machine, if I see something at a distance the Ultra comes out of it's case on the sled.  But if it's close and fast, the contender carbine is mounted on the handlebars, and can be reached fast.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.